YJ Windshield frame replacement

• I've asked a few people in person, but I'd also like everyone else's tips and tricks... anything specific about swapping out a YJ windshield frame?

I figured I do everything except putting the glass in, then drive it to a glass shop (on a WARM day) nearby to have them swap out the glass from the old frame. Make sense? Anything tricky about the wiper mechanicals? Not starting for a couple of weeks, got to sand and paint first.

DrJ

P.S. - anyone got a pair of windshield hinge light mount brackets for sale?

• i have a pait of new ones, they are black powder coat. make me an offer.
    TIPS: get a drill out cause you will probably need it for the bolts. you can reach up inside and put new nuts on from there

• The wiper mechanicals are pretty easy. You'll need needle nose pliers to remove a clip the holds the arms on the pivot. Probably be a good idea to have a hand dandy cup nearby to put the clips in. They are pretty small.

As Scott said, you'll probably have problems with the bolts. I ended up grinding mine off and punching it through. Then you'll have to be a bit of a contortionist to get your arm behind the dash, around the wiring, and up to where it has to be to hold the a wrench with a nut already engaged while sitting on the outside of the Jeep to turn the bolt through the hole.

It's a job for a nice spring day, not winter.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Actually, Koran came by the parking lot here one day last week and removed all the torx screws (and put them back). He said they all came out easy. I couldn't believe it considering how many holes and leaks there are in the frame.

Scott... is $20 fair? I don't have a catalog here to make an educated offer. I got a set of OEM fogs from BLKXJ yesterday that match those on my brush guard, so I thought I might try those brackets, or drill two more holes in the brush guard/bumper. Can one relay handle two sets of those lights? I'd like to use the same switch for both sets.

DrJ

• thats fine. I dont know what they cost either. You might want to check. i would think they are somewhere around 30 plus shipping

• If you see Tom anytime soon, let me know and I'll get the money to him, or I can PayPal you if you give them to him. Thanks!

DrJ

• thats cool, if you are in Smyrna let me know and you can stop by. I looked them u8p and they are 25.00 plus shipping.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!