my yj build!

• like it says figured id post up my build to show what im doing and maybe get some feedback or pointers. stay tuned!

bought the yj with a sh*tty 4" procomp lift with stock tires no bumpers and a blown trans. not to mention all the other odds and ends i had to do to get it going. when i brought it home i ordered a set of 35" procomp mud terrains and a nice set of procomp 16" rims. new front and rear bumper, fab tech front. Olympic rear. swapped trannys and off i went!

ok so i found a family style roll bar off Aaron and found a front weld in cage that completely didnt fit, but after some cutting and rewelding i got it in ;D oh and installed a rear seat from an 05 rubicon tj

then got a jks 1.25" body lift to help clear the 35"s.

took the rig off road and got stuck :( then had to have comanche once and then a zj pull me out another time ::) now this isnt suppoosed to happen so i trashed the procomps and found a great set of 37" iroks on rc4x4.org put them on and didnt even have to use 4wd :driving: ripped the bushwackers off and had to recut the fenders cause previous owner didnt do such a nice job.

ok so from creeping around different sites i found an awsome yj build on pirate4x4. guy on the west coast swapped a tj front end on his yj. i was sold so

fairly easy swap. hood lines up a little higher by the cowl but no so bad. pics to come soon with hood on. (hood i have is trashed but good for mock up)

so after getting beat to death with the stiff 4" springs and horrible flex. i always wanted to go soa with my old jeep so i knew it was time. started out with grabbing an 8.8 for 100 beans in dover and some more used parts from Aaron. i went with re 1.5" springs. now i got the 35 ripped out and disassembled the rear springs

k now time to install the new, well new to me rear springs. now remember kiddies use some never seize on bolts and such cause we own jeep and wether we want to or not we may have to remove parts numerous times haha :bang:

and a little help from the pup

after getting the rear springs on it was time to mock up the rear axle. got every thing measured and even ( except for the pinion angle which i will do after i get the sye finished and ready to weld it all up).

and a pic of the jeep doing a nose dive :P this thing is huge lol

stay tuned!

• sweet build! keep it up!

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• if u want to take the t-case out, i'll do it or show you how, its simple.

• Looks good Nick You have made some progress since I stopped by. Thanks for the instructions the Posi-Lok went on fine,and it worked the 1st try no adjustment needed

• ok back again. i started to remove the stock d30 up front

then installed the new springs, and awaiting the new front axle. either a beefed up d30 with high steer or a d44 from a 78ish f250. have not made my mind up yet.

next thing was to do my sye along with Meeper (mike)s help got it busted out in like 20 mins lol. but before i even got the skid plate off and drop transfer off i ran into the ol frame bolt spins in the frame trick :bang:

and it was almost all of them. so i did some research and found some revit type that squish down but i was afraid of those eventually doing the same thing so i looked at the weld in type frame plugs. very nice but the 60 bucks for them seemed a bit crappy considering the money thats already been spent. so heres what i did, HOPE IT WORKS let yas know when i have to remove the skid again.

when to lowes and found some grade 5 nuts and bolts 1/2"

now i wanted the nuts with the round bevel to them like the ones in the pics this way they would act like plugs and easier to put a weld around. spent like 12 bucks.

spent a little getting the old plugs out or what was left, cleaned the frame up a little and reamed the holes out to fit the new nuts.

then got one mocked up

then welded it up. went around with two passes just to beef up around the nut.

then did the rest and painted um up. hope they last ;D

• ok got the front rear in. just gotta run a new steering link to the highsteer. (pics to come) ended up stretching the front axle out about an 1 1/2 like i did with the rear. gained maybe 3" in wheel base. not a ton but better then nothing. as of now im still trying to get brakes situated. FML

• measured the wheel base and it looks like im around 96 to 97 inches! :beer: :driving:

ill know a more accurate measurement when i get one side of the jeeps wheels off.

• damn, that's great a great solution to a pita problem! :up:

please remember to post up and let us know how well they hold up.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• ok deal Ill take it out and bring it over and we can knock it out

when chris gets black dog look at the np2o8 I put in her
    had to bump up the mount about 1 inch to clear the skid but it works great :up:

• Nice job! Just getting started with my 90YJ and gathering the tools to help me do the stuff myself, but I don't know if I'm in your league. Just got a set of tires off Percy and he gave me some great info. Like that family roll bar. How difficult was putting that in the jeep? I'll take some pics and post them for advice.

• Nice job! Just getting started with my 90YJ and gathering the tools to help me do the stuff myself, but I don't know if I'm in your league. Just got a set of tires off Percy and he gave me some great info. Like that family roll bar. How difficult was putting that in the jeep? I'll take some pics and post them for advice.

the family roll bar is pretty much a bolt-in affair...i will be putting one in shortly. Me and Nick have basically the same setup but I'm running 35's instead of 37" tires...but I think his plans have changed since his last post on here and he's going another direction with his YJ (full width axles) :beer:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!