YJ 4WD performance question

• This YJ is my fourth Jeep. The other three were bought new, and when in 4WD, you couldn't really tell until you turned the steering wheel hard that they were in 4WD. This YJ had only been in 4WD at Paragon (rocky terrain). Yesterday and today, driving around in the snow, it seems rougher than the others. I'd expect the KJ to be smoother, and I realize the YJ has 106K miles on it and is 17-18 years old, but is it typical to be rougher on clear road and want more revs when on snow/ice? The street to our development is long and straight, as soon as I get to 4th gear, it roughens up, really liking 3rd better (15-30mph), on the highway it seems better, but rougher than I remember my other YJs being. Is there a fluid check on a transfer case, etc. or things I could check?

DrJ

• ahh...not specific enough, sorry, the engine/transmission/transfer case runs rougher than when not in 4WD. With more revs, it gets a little smoother, but still noticeably rougher in 4WD.
    DrJ

• My YJ dont run rougher in 4WD. But it does make a slight whining sound, especially in low. I get all the fluids changed every 30,000 mi.

• I know what you are talking about DRJ. The roughness is because of the load on the motor. It being a four banger will like the higher RPM's. The roughness is coming from the load, that is why it smooths out at higher RPM. make sense?

• And there is less load in 2WD, so it is smoother. Would it be worse because of the cold weather, and the Jeep being cold? Might it get better as the Jeep and fluids gets warmed up? Just trying to make sure I'm not having a transfer case issue that needs attention.

DrJ

• my 4 banger tj ran fine in 4WDj all weekend and i have 32's on it seemed smoother then usual.

It must be a YJ thing, i guess i wouldnt understand ::xmasgrin

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• ...or more a 106,000 mile thing. I think we actually might have the same t-case and 4 cyl. My YJ is actually older than you, right? Close?

DrJ

• Quote from "DrJ"

...or more a 106,000 mile thing.
    DrJ

prolly not a mileage issue as much though. our xj, with a gazillion miles on it, shifted smoothly in all gears when in 4hi and 4lo the other day. little to no whine either. maybe your fluid IS low?
    chris

• The YJ that I owned (90 w/2.5) did the same thing. One time I engaged 4WD and it did not disengage, I believe because it was so cold out. Anyway I had to take the highway where I was going and it was rough and felt like I was pulling a car. After about 10 minutes, the light went off and the roughness went away and the MPH jumped up by at least two or three! The fluid levels were all fine. I sold it over a year ago to my neighbor and it is still going strong with no issues.

• stock... stock... stock.

Not that a trip to Paragon might have bent something... it took some pretty good hits last month. I guess that's my concern. If it is just rough, I don't really care. I just don't want to let it get worse by not paying attention to a small, fixable problem now.

I just changed the tranny, transfer case and both diffs fluids. I'll drive it around a bit tonight to see if there's a difference.

• Quote from "DrJ"

And there is less load in 2WD, so it is smoother. Would it be worse because of the cold weather, and the Jeep being cold? Might it get better as the Jeep and fluids gets warmed up? Just trying to make sure I'm not having a transfer case issue that needs attention.

Machines don't like severe cold anymore than you do.

Oil gets thick, grease gets really thick, rubber gets hard.

Lots more creaks and groans when it's cold.

• The YJ front dshaft isn't a cv style, and isn't balanced very well... at least mine isn't.

the cold weather 4wd disengagement problem is almost always because of moisture freezing in the vacuum disconnect unit.

:)

• well my yj has a 4cyl, and 108,000 miles. I have an auto, and 33's. I assume when you say rougher you are feeling vibrations. I would say its not weird to notice a difference, but if its severe, then you might have a problem. I can tell if its in 4wd, the vibrations increase a bit but the engine revs about the same.

• Great! I don't have 33's, just 30" BFG A/Ts (like my other YJs). Do revs help smooth yours out? Actually, it guess would be a little more torque that comes with the revs at low speed that seems to smooth it out.

It seemed better yesterday, and it WAS warmer. Today should be a good indicator.

DrJ

• the front axle is vacuum operated

if you ingage the 4WD and the motor starts running rough
    it may be a vacuum leak at the Tcase lines.

• Quote from "DrJ"

Nope, motor runs smooth no matter what. If it is anything it is a t-case issue, that's just how it feels.

DrJ

Did you eyeball the front DS and axle U-joint's good ?

Check for slop, look for rust at the caps meaning the grease is all gone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!