Advice for my first real modification

• You guys ever hear of PORC? They have the Lock_Rite for $209. I'm thinking maybe I should just get one for each axle and skip the BL for now, what do you think about that?

Artie, thanks for the link but I think by the time I get that in I probably could have got both Lock-Rites.

• Quote from "FZMax"

You guys ever hear of PORC? They have the Lock_Rite for $209. I'm thinking maybe I should just get one for each axle and skip the BL for now, what do you think about that?

A regular LR in the rear will take some getting used to in a DD.

• Quote from "FZMax"

This is the first vehicle I have had in a long thime that didn't have some kind of limited slip in the back, does the Lock-Rite tend to stay locked or something?

Uh yeah. That's why it's called a "full-time locker".

• Am I looking at something different? This is from their website:

The LOCK-RIGHT's operation is fully automatic. Designed to send the engine power to the wheels with the most traction, the LOCK-RIGHT will help get you where you want to go. While traveling straight the LOCK-RIGHT will lock the axles together similar to a spool. However, when the wheels need to differentiate in a turn, the LOCK-RIGHT will allow the outside wheel to rotate faster to complete the turn. The internal gears on the LOCK-RIGHT will overrun each other to allow this differentiation.

• Quote from "FZMax"

Am I looking at something different? This is from their website:

The LOCK-RIGHT's operation is fully automatic. Designed to send the engine power to the wheels with the most traction, the LOCK-RIGHT will help get you where you want to go. While traveling straight the LOCK-RIGHT will lock the axles together similar to a spool. However, when the wheels need to differentiate in a turn, the LOCK-RIGHT will allow the outside wheel to rotate faster to complete the turn. The internal gears on the LOCK-RIGHT will overrun each other to allow this differentiation.

No that's it.

But it'll be far from seamless on the road, and will be NOTHING like a limited-slip in operation. It'll chirp around turns and sometimes the rear end will feel like it's jumping when shifting gears. And as mentioned earlier, tires will wear faster. They also tend to bang alot as they unlock.

Off-road it'll be great.

• That stuff doesn't concern me much, I can deal with a little chirp and bang every now and then. The 'car' I sold when I got the Jeep had a full spool. That was kind of a pain and a real handful in the rain if you weren't ready. I could park that car on a hill with the wheels turned and it wouldn't roll at all, at least this one does unlock.

• Quote from "FZMax"

That stuff doesn't concern me much, I can deal with a little chirp and bang every now and then. The 'car' I sold when I got the Jeep had a full spool. That was kind of a pain and a real handful in the rain if you weren't ready. I could park that car on a hill with the wheels turned and it wouldn't roll at all, at least this one does unlock.

Then you shouldn't be bothered. Are you sure the rear is open ?

• And there starts that slippery slope. If I get a Detroit I would be foolish not to regear at the same time, and if I am going to regear, I would be foolish not to gear for larger tires, and if I get larger tires I need a lift, and if I am going to get a lift, might as well get a long arm, and if, well you guys know how the rest goes.

• Quote from "FZMax"

And there starts that slippery slope. If I get a Detroit I would be foolish not to regear at the same time, and if I am going to regear, I would be foolish not to gear for larger tires, and if I get larger tires I need a lift, and if I am going to get a lift, might as well get a long arm, and if, well you guys know how the rest goes.

That's why I say the front LR was one of my best mods for the money.

It requires no other mods to take full advantage of it's benefits.

I payed $225 for it and installed it myself.

If I do decide to regear and go to selectable lockers, I can sell the LR for a few bucks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!