Advice for my first real modification

• The Jeep in question is a ’02 Sport with the 4.0, 3.73’s and a D44. So far the only changes made have been the 31-inch tires and the engine skid. I have been to Paragon four times last year and even though there was a lot of banging going on, the Jeep did fine. Once I managed to high center it but only needed the slightest of tugs to get going again. Another time I was stopped by a rock about the size of a football in front of the right front tire. That time only the right rear and left front had any appreciable weight on them.

So, in the quest for more off road capability, which will make the biggest improvement; a lock rite for the front, a lock rite for the back, a budget boost or something else entirely. I am leaning towards one of the lock rites (or something better?) as I think it would have gotten me out of both situations. However, if I had a BB, I could disconnect and the additional flex may have provided enough tire contact to move it out as well.

This is my daily driver and there is no money for 37’s or a LA conversion, I have about $300 to spend and I will be installing whatever I get myself. Any advice is appreciated.

• I would put the LR in the front.

The nay-sayers will tell you that you will twist the shafts off and all kinds of other stuff, but if you drive like a sane person it'll be fine.

In 2WD you won't even know it's there.

Putting a LR in the rear of a DD is whole different story. Do some research before you consider that.

• I have to agree lock rite in the front and watch the stupid pedal..... then watch the board for a cheap budget boost. I am pretty sure that there will be a cheap lift for sale bext week after we sell BDLS toys jeep the good thing about havign a stock jeep is that used smaller lifts are always for sale and you can buy them cheap and a piece at a time

• Thanks for the replies but I forgot to mention, you all need to agree! I keep going back and forth on the front or rear locker myself. For each reason, article or post I find supporting locking the rear, I find one for the front.

So far one of the lockers seem like the better choice. Since I can't go for bigger tires at this point and the 31's aren't rubbing the lift wouldn't do much, right?

Chris, do you have a different name on JU. I see no reply from you.

Sean, we made it home without incident yesterday, thanks again.

• wayne,
    it took a few tries to take over there...busy server and all (only good time is between 3:43 and 3:48 in the morning :grin:) but it's showing up now. i'm for the front lockrite - reasoning is over there on JU.
    chris (too lazy to retype)

• With the front locked are there any strange characteristics while driving at speed in 4WD? You know, like heavy snow and 70 or 80 MPH? Seriously, I have never driven something with a locker in front, does it get twitchy or is it more stable compared to an open front axle while in 4-Hi?

BTW, I put this reply on JU as well, I didn't think there was anyone else on this board and JU. I had the impression that the JU board is not so highly respected around here.

• A locker in the front will hurt winter performance. It will cause the front to plow out if you apply the gas in the turn. I'd do the rear locker personally. If you get the right one you won't really notice it too much for everyday driving. I have a Powertrax No-slip and it doesn't click or clack much at all compared to others I've heard.

But other things to look at are the body lift, motor mount lift, and a flat belly pan. That will get you more clearance underneath without lifting too high.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'd have to put another vote in for the lockrite in the front. In 2wd you don't know it is there. On the trail, you see all the benefits...In the snow is a little different. This past snow storm was the first time for me and the locker. At first it was a little squirrelly to get used to just b/c when you let off the gas the torque is released the Jeep just goes. Once I got used to it, it was great! Couldn't get the jeep stuck the entire day.

Just my $.02

-Chris

• I am running a no slip front/ detroit rear and went anywhere I wanted to go this past weekend, just take your time in the snow.

I would lock the front without a second thought. Like turtle said, it is something you can use now, as well as grow into. If you were to drop a lockrite in the rear then later on lift and regear, the lock rite is goint to be a waste of time as you would then want to change the carrier into a full locker like a detroit or a selectable locker like an ARB.

second, locking the front only effects you when your in 4wd, the rear ALL the time. on the trail, the front will also help more as you may already have a trash lok in the rear d44.

Artie

• Quote from "FZMax"

Thanks for the replies but I forgot to mention, you all need to agree! I keep going back and forth on the front or rear locker myself. For each reason, article or post I find supporting locking the rear, I find one for the front.

:laughing:

You're never going to get all jeepers to agree. You'll always get people who believe one thing and others the exact opposite. You just need to decide which explanations make the most sense and who is giving the recommendations.

I agree with those that said front locker for the daily driver. You won't notice it on the street, and will definitely feel it in 4WD on the trail. (I hope "driving at speed in 4WD...70 or 80 MPH?" was a joke, you don't want to do that.)

• With your price constraints a rear locker isn't even an option as the lock-right and ausssie locker are not produced for a dana 44 with a track-lock. Their are other "luchbox" lockers out there but they all blow your budget. Locking the front is absolutely the way to go, how many times in a year do you actually drive in the snow?? Plus having a front auto locker does not make it impossible to drive in the snow, just a little more difficult.

• FYI my budget boost lift is already sold. I have 3 people already who want it so which ever one of them comes up with the cash first gets it. If all 3 fall through I'll repost later.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• The rear is open, no track-lock, but most people that have responded (here and JU) suggest the front anyway.

Yes I was joking about doing 80 in the snow. If I went that slow I would get stuck behind all those school busses.

• The plan is to lock the front and get a small BL. What are the advantages of a 1 1/4 BL vs a 1 inch? Also, any suggestions on where to get the D30 Lock-Rite and BL? I would like to support a local shop or a site sponsor as long as the price is reasonable.

• The only advantage of the 1 1/4 inch BL vs the 1 inch body lift is 1/4 inch (duh :sniffle: ). For what it does/doesn't do, it can be considered the same as the 1 inch BL.

Look around to see if you can find a used Lockright. If not, and you're buying new, check out prices on the Aussie Locker as well. I think it's only available through a web site (Torq Masters), but you may get it a bit cheaper than a new Lockright. The Aussie and Lockright are virtually identical in construction and installation. I think the Aussie clicks just a little louder...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!