Pinion nut problem? - Fixed 6/24/10

• Just tighten it to 200 ft/lbs and get on with life.

The only way you will change the preload is if you further crush the crush-sleeve and if you stay at 180-200 that won't happen.

Not to beat a dead horse in this thread but 200 foot pounds WILL crush the crush sleeve especially since it appears he is re-using his old one...

• Well, I got it on. After the all the threads from the nut got on the pinion gear then it started turning easier. I got as far as I could, will check with my mechanic tomorrow for increased torque but, all I could do was the 150 ft/lbs.
    Test ran it on jacks (not sure what I was looking for). Went through all 5 gears, pushed the speedometer to 85 mph and nothing blew up. Took it off the jack and went for a short test drive. Got it up to 65 mph for about a mile, nothing blew up, and I didn't hear any strange noises. Will top off the fluid tomorrow and drive it to RC for a trail ride Saturday (I HOPE). LOL

• Glen didn't see if it was the front or back axle if front unlock the hubs and bring it by on Sat. Ill take care of it in 5 minutes.
    Aaron

Thank Aaron. It is/was (or maybe was/is still) the rear. Any further problems and I'll contact you, if you don't mind.

Thanks
    Glen

• maybe I'm just stupid but I run them off w an impact and run them back on w an impact when I change the seals. Never had a problem or brought out the torque wrench. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!