Gear oil leak

• Went out in the garage yesterday and saw some gear oil trickling down the inside of my driver side rear tire. Is this probably the oil seal? I looked in the manual and the Q-tec catalog and it looks like there's both an inner and outer seal (it's an AMC 20 rear). I haven't taken it apart yet, figured if there's a 99% chance that's what it is, I'll get the seals and then fix it. I'm working up north again, so I could probably see if Q-tec has then in stock.

• Yeah that would be the oil seal. I'm not sure if you'll need to pull the bearing as well because the outer seal has to go on between the bearing and the mounting plate. As I remember you will which means you'll need to replace the bearing and race. Bearing is a press fit and can be a bitch to get off.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Tim,
    Napa on Loockerman will press off the old bearing, slide on the new oil seal, and press on the new bearing for pretty cheap...they've done a half-dozen for me over the past few years.

Put a little RTV around the oil seal too as added insurance - never hurts.
    Chris

P.S. In case Quadratec doesn't pan out, Napa always had the bearings and new seals in stock and the little guy in the back room presses it all while you wait.

• If you have the original 2 peice axles the outer seal can be replaced by taking the drive flange off of the axle. This is also the way the bearing needs to go on, it is pressed from the front not the back. When you reassembly the drive flange/hub make sure its torqued to specs and then recheck it after about 50 miles. If you dont you may end up spining the hub and ruining the shaft and hub. Send me a pm if you have any questions. I just upgraded to one peice axles because of that problem. Keith

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!