Trail Ride Gear

• This post is so people can get an idea of what they might need to bring on a trail ride.

Jeep Stuff :tup: =DEJA requirement :up: =Rausch Creek requirement

Full Size Spare Tire :tup: :up:
    Front and Rear Tow Points :tup: :up:
    Fire Extinguisher :tup:
    Functional Seat Belts for all Occupants :tup: :up:
    Battery Tie Down :up:
    CB Radio or cell phone :tup:
    Orange Flag (Optional At This Point)
    Tow Strap (rated at least 20,000 lbs) :tup: :up: (one within the group)
    First Aid Kit :tup:
    Liability Insurance :tup: :up:
    If vehicles are registered, must be insured :up:
    Wristband (proof of fee paid) :up:
    Waiver/WaiverCard* :up:
    Annual Membership :up:

* if you are bringing passengers under age 18, each must have a Rausch Creek waiver and that waiver must be signed by a parent.

Suggested equipment includes: tire gauge, high lift jack, gloves, spare parts, basic tools, sunglasses or other eye protection, sunscreen, baseball hat, bug spray, epinephrine (if you're allergic to bites or stings)...

For DeJA trail rides, at least one jeep must have the a tow strap and First Aid kit. There may be spare CB radios available for use on the trail. No alcohol is permitted on the trails. No trash (including cigarette butts) may be left on the trails.

Click Here to view Rausch Creek's rules on their web site.

What else to bring to a trail ride:

For a one day trip:
    1. Cooler (and ice)
    2. Lunch
    3. Extra shoes and socks
    4. Bug Spray
    5. Sun Screen
    6. Water bottles (with water in them)

For an over night trail run:
    This list is what I would normally bring for a one or two night trip. The first part is items that can be shared; the second part is personal items.

1. Tent
    2. Cooler
    3. Food
    4. Grill of some sort
    5. Dishes
    6. Silverware
    7. Lighter (windproof is best)
    8. T.P.
    9. Hand soap
    10. Trash bag
    11. Rope
    12. Flashlight or lantern

Personal items:

1. Sleeping Bag
    2. Pillow
    3. A pad or air mattress
    4. Folding chair (see Icky’s for maximum comfort)
    5. Clothes
    A. Pants
    B. T-shirt (short and long sleeve)
    C. Extra socks (2 extra pair is ideal)
    D. Underwear is optional
    Please read more about clothing below
    6. Towel
    7. A bag to put it all in
    8. Bug Spay
    9. Sun Screen

For the kind of camping we do, weight is not an issue, so most stuff can be gotten for less money at places like Wall-Mart or Target, or online. Places like REI and Eastern Mountain Sports have the good gear, but costs more.

The general idea for staying comfortable is to stay dry. If you get hot, you will sweat, and if its cold out and you sweat, the sweat (water) will get cold and make you cold. The same goes for being hot. There are several things that you can do to stay dry and comfy.

Tents:
    Get whatever size fits you. I have a 2-person, but its only good for one person and gear. Normally I would look for one size bigger than people you plan using it. Look for one with either a tarp like bottom or that comes with a ground cloth. Don’t use tarps bigger than your tents footprint for a ground cloth, if it rains the tarp will catch the water and it will run to under the tent floor. If you must use a tarp and it is to big, fold it so it doesn’t stick out from the tent floor.

Sleeping Bags:
    Sleeping bags can make a good night sleep or a night or misery. The main thing to look for is the temp rating. For most spring and summer trips, I suggest a 35 degree bag. Look for nylon shell with rip stop and Polarguard insulation. Go to a store like REI or EMS and look at some bags, get in one, play with it. I would spend more money on a sleeping bag, it is worth it.

Air Mattress or sleeping pad:
    What ever you want and are comfy.

Dishes:
    Buy some camp dishes and keep paper plates to a minimum. Stay away from metal plates and bowls; they transmit heat very well from hot food to our hand or lap. Look for Lexan, strong, light, and has good heat transfer properties.
    They can be had for about $3/pc at REI, EMS, or several on-line.

Utensils:
    Go to Wall-Mart and buy a cheap sturdy 4-place setting. That way if they get lost, no big deal, and they won’t break.

Lighter:
    Go buy this-

Its wind and waterproof. Its called The Windmill, and its made by Eastern Mountain Sports.

Clothing:
    This is where you will get what you pay for. The paragraph about staying dry really applies here. In the summer you can wear what ever, but I would suggest looking at some wicking shirts.

They pull the sweat off your skin and if they get wet, they dry very fast, so you stay dry. Try to avoid jeans.
    In the winter, this is VERY important. The key is to layer. For base layer, use wicking clothes. NO COTTON! Cotton is called the death fabric for a reason; it holds water, and dries very slow. Several companies make wicking shirts (long and short sleeve), pants and other clothing. For second layers, use a fleece type material. Usually the fleece is a jacket, so this may be all you need, unless it’s raining. For rain I suggest Gore-Tex jackets and pants. Gore-Tex is a material that was developed by Gore while attending U of D. It let’s hot air escape thru the fabric, but keeps water out. This way you stay dry so don’t over heat. There are others fabrics that are similar, and will probably work fine for wheelin, just stay away from plastic and rubber suits.
    EMS or REI brand is less $$ and just as good as the North Face and Sierra Designs brand. The Gore store in Newark has all this stuff.

Footwear:
    This might be the most important thing you buy. I would suggest a comfy Gore-Tex hiking boot. This will keep you feet dry. Along with this you will need a good pair of wicking socks. They are expensive, but 100% worth it. Most sports places sell good socks, start with a liner sock and go from there. Most of the time I only use a liner.
    Bring a couple extra pair of socks, what ever they are.

(originally posted by bmf24 on old web site)

Updated 04/21/08

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!