304 swap into my CJ7

• Since we are all on the topic of swaps, here is my plan. Take out the 304 that is in my 77 CJ5, rebuild and "enhance" its performance in the process. Then stick it in place of my beloved 258. Does anybody have any tips for building that 304? I did see that a company(forgot the name) is now making a supercharger for the AMC V8's.... oh yeah!

• Hey Loki, how's this swap coming?

I think some of the cam companies put together a performance package for the 304. I think it was Crane or Comp.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I have just a couple more things to take off the engine then I can drop it off at Accurate Power. They are going to magna flux it and go from there, I told them I wanted to build it to run naturally aspirated or even if I decided to get rich and get a puffer. I hope to get close to the 300 hp mark without a charger, but we'll see. I have to do some more research on the guts I am going to use, find out whats best for that old AMC. I'll keep posting update.

• Keep in mind the strength of the rest of your drive train. You might get to the point where you will be pushing the tranny a bit on the torque side.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Oh, definetly. I am undecided as to which tranny to get. I will keep the 44 in the back as well as the 30 with minimal upgrades and replace it when it blows.

• I got a T150 three speed that should hold up to the 304. The 304's came with T150s from the factory.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• They also came with the T-176 which is classified as a medium duty truck tranny. Also the T-18 will bolt up which is considered a heavy duty truck tranny. The T-176 will probably be ok as long as it was rebuilt then you can go with the Dana 300 T-case.

• Yeah, actually I still have the T150 that I took out of 5. I'll keep it and possibly have that rebuilt. It had chunky milkshake for lube when I drained it. The T150 worked fine behind 150 hp but we'll see how it does with almost double that. :suspicious:

• If I were you I would steer clear of the t-150 and any v8. If you use the jeep hard at all snap crackle pop! Trust me! The t-176 and t-18 are both good choices I have had all three. I have a t-18 in my jeep and keep a t-176 laying around. Just my .02 I have a t-150 I'll give you as a spare you'll need it!

• I am not sold on the T150, so we'll see. I wonder if I could scavenge a 3500 out of a 00 and up wrangler? I might end up trying to find a T18, always here good things about that.

• Loki
    I have a NP435 in the big jeep that i will trade for a c4 or c6 that will bolt to my 302 :) cant get any stronger than the NP435.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!