Jeep Question

• i have a 1989 Jeep Wrangler and I just put on a 4inch lift kit, I just notice when i drive it on the high way its too slow. What do I need to upgrade to get my speed back?

• i have a 1989 Jeep Wrangler and I just put on a 4inch lift kit, I just notice when i drive it on the high way its too slow. What do I need to upgrade to get my speed back?

I see it's your first post, so I won't respond with something like 'take off the lift'. ;) A little more information would be helpful for someone to try to answer your question. e.g., did you simply put on a 4 inch lift and do nothing else to the jeep? did you put on larger tires?

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• So without the benefit of any useful information, here goes.

Jeeps are aerodynamically only slightly better than a brick. Lifts make that even worse.

Stock Jeeps are geared to get the best power/mileage out of stock size tires. Adding larger tires and heavier wheels without re-gearing is generally a bad idea and power/mileage will definitely suffer.

Not sure if you have a 4 or 6 cyl Jeep but there is almost no way to get more out of them without going to a stroker build (6 cyl). The 4 cyl is a boat anchor without proper gearing. Intakes and exhausts help, but it is a lot of money for only a small power gain. Do not waste your money on headers or chips. They are a big fail. Overall, gears are much more important. If it is just a mall Jeep then that will seem like a lot of money. But if you intend to wheel it, changing gearing is a great opportunity to add a limited-slip or locker.

What is slow to you? Opinions vary...

As Alterior stated, I see it is your first post so I left my filter on. There is generally quite a bit of planning involved to correctly lift a Jeep or any vehicle. It is best to do that planning before you start doing things piecemeal. There is much more to running bigger tires than just the lift height.

Some pertinent information would be tire size/brand, current gearing, engine size, mileage, what lift & components, etc...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!