Wrangler owner in Wilmington!!

• Greetings Delaware Jeep Owners,

I can't say I'm new to the Jeep world, because I've owned a Tj a couple years ago, but then ended up selling it. But the last 6 months I've been itching to get back into a Wrangler, and I've been patient enough to find what I really wanted with the budget I was working with. So this past weekend I picked up a 1988 Wrangler, that I’m happy with and looking to make into a reliable daily driver :mrgreen: . Showing that there are quite a few Jeep owners in Delaware, I do need some basic help.. :-\

The Jeep came with a hardtop and fiberglass upper sliders, but there’s a small issue.. the fiberglass windows do not align correctly with the hardtop when the doors are shut (both passenger and diver). There’s a nice size gap between the hard top and window, almost identical to this picture: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/cj-hardtop-on-yj-79378.html

:bang: So this has been bothering me and I’ve been trying to research this issue for the last couple days and came to the conclusion that I could either have a CJ hardtop and/or TJ fiberglass upper windows. I would like to get together with another local Wrangler owner, preferably a YJ owner so I could swap parts to try to diagnose this issue. I live in Wilmington, and I commute down to Middletown a couple times a week to visit family, so I could meet with someone between those points or wherever is convenient for whomever is willing to meet with me.

Thank you!!
    -Joe

• My guess is that the 1/2 upper doors are not meant to fit a hard top at all, but are designed for soft top use. Or some other aftermarket top. The CJ and YJ tops are nearly identical. Main difference is around the lift gate. I used to run CJ HT on my 89 YJ and had no troubles with AJ's fiberglass uppers.

A few thoughts..
    Did you remove the roll bar <> windshield spreader bars?
    Did you adjust the windshield to lean further back
    Did you adjust the door hinges? (top hinge on body and bottom hinge on door will adjust)
    The hard top can be adjusted a little forward or back.

But in the end, looks like its mismatched, perhaps they are TJ uppers ?

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Pics are small , but it looks like the hard top is not set down all the way, did you remove the soft top windshield channel? Also as I mentioned , the roll bar to windshield bars sometime interfere with the CJ hard top setting all the way down. You either have to remove them , or grind away some fiberglass to make room for the brackets. Then the hard top should set all the way down over the windshield frame.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• i dont know that ive ever seen a yj with soft uppers and a hard top.... bigger pics would definately help, like keith said.
    did u try asking the guy u bought it from about where he got the top and/or uppers? i am in dover, and have a hard top on my yj, but i have full doors, so im not sure how we could match the uppers, unless we swap doors entirely.... lmk

• i dont know that ive ever seen a yj with soft uppers and a hard top.... bigger pics would definately help, like keith said.
    did u try asking the guy u bought it from about where he got the top and/or uppers? i am in dover, and have a hard top on my yj, but i have full doors, so im not sure how we could match the uppers, unless we swap doors entirely.... lmk

So by doing further research, I found out that [yj] full doors will only fit on a [yj] hardtop. So my upper sliders aren't matching because I need to get either full doors [because of the hard top] or a soft top [because of the upper windows]. But thank you to all who helped, much appreciated!! :beer:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!