GWNF Stocker Trail Ride: April 29th - May 1st, 2005

• Don't post here, leave it as a info thread only please. Those with pertinent info (hotel phone numbers, map links, etc.), feel free to add it below.

This trail ride is specifically set up for those of you who have never taken a vehicle off-road. The trails here are easy, non-threatening, and completely stock Jeep capable. We will cross streams and hit scenic mountain tops (really!). The "trail" starts out as a dirt road, but does become a little more challenging. This is a great ride for the family and we'll stop often to let the kids run. There are groups camping and groups staying in local hotels.

GWNF is George Washington National Forest. We'll be just west of Harrisonburg, Virginia near the West Virginia border. We have had people show up for a day ride, but it is a bit far for that. Plan on staying at least one night, you'll want to hang out by the campfire anyway!

A group will be leaving from Delaware Friday AM. Depending on who is in the group, we'll leave from either Dover or somewhere more north. At this point I'll say we're leaving at 9AM Friday morning (subject to change). I'll post for a list of who is leaving from where closer to the date.

The Friday group will drive to Kephart Run (or possibly the river site Paul and Joe scouted). Kephart Run is easy to find, and clearly marked on the highway. These are my basic directions from Delaware:

I-95 to I-495 (Washington Beltway) to 66W (left exit) to 81S (left exit) to 33W (exit 247B) through Harrisonburg to Rawley Springs, about 12 miles. On the other side of Rawley Springs is the entrance to GWNF. Go about two miles in to a stream marked "Kephart Run", the trailhead is on the RIGHT just before the stream. The trail will take you 10-15 minutes in to the campsite. If we aren't at the first big clearing, KEEP GOING!!! There are two more!

Those staying hotels will meet at the Jamisson Inn parking lot at 8:45am Saturday to drive to Kephart together. We will stop at McDormand's store just before we enter the forest to gas up and get food, ice, etc.

We will meet the others at the campsite at 9:30am to break into two groups... stocker and modifieds. As of this post, Alan (1tonTJ) will lead the modifieds, I will lead the stockers. While I am looking at other trails to add to the stocker trip, don't be surprised if it is just the same route as last time. We may combine the groups at first to do Dry Run (river crossings!) just so we have a couple of winches available (depending on weather and water depth...don't be skeer'd).

We'll likely ride until dusk and get back to the campsite around 5:00 or so, hang out a bit, and then the hotel group can leave when they want, you'll all know your way by then, it's easy.

Same drill for Sunday AM, 9:30am at the campsite for a short ride for those interested. We'll leave for home around 2pm.

PLEASE NOTE: Cell phones do not work in the forest!!!!!! CBs only work close range. Make all your arrangements and contacts BEFORE you get into the forest. The times posted will be gospel, and we will leave as soon after 9:30am as possible, meaning as soon as the groups are decided... we're gone! I will post the proposed stocker route prior to that Friday, but conditions in the forest may cause that to change, and I don't have internet access obviously to change the route online. We may make changes that day, if you miss us, you can certainly try the posted route, but don't count on it.

There are maps available for those of you interested in seeing the terrain. My favorite was the DeLorme books for Virginia:

http://www.gpsnow.com/agva.htm

It is available at Walden/Barnes & Noble, etc. The Park Service has National Geographic Maps as well, you'll want this one:

http://www.ngmapstore.com/shop…SubCat=125&iProductID=340

Good enough for now... more to follow!

DrJ

• OFFICIAL DEPARTURE GROUPS LIST
    Don't post here, PM me with your group preference, I'll add you to the list.
    These lists are tentative, subject to participation, check here often and before the event!

DOVER GROUP - Leaving Wednesday PM (PM DaMutt for details)
    damutt and family
    gotmudd02
    1tonTJ

DOVER GROUP - meets at Quadna & Icky's on Rt.8, 9am FRIDAY
    DrJ
    DEJeepman
    Keith_C
    wtyarnall
    Quadna/Icky or Icky/Quadna
    Tith
    KJ04
    ThePatriot
    wanderlust

WILMINGTON GROUP - Truck stop on I-95 (between Newark and Wilmington), 9:00am FRIDAY
    rafartist
    cj7taz
    johninde

• Wouldn't the Lewes group rather meet the Dover group somewhere on RT 50? Maybe in the outlet mall parking lot at the junction of Rt 50 & 301 around 10:00am?

• Quote from "DrJ"

LEWES GROUP - meets where? (in time to meet Dover group at 9am FRIDAY)

At this point I'm a group of one.

I thought meeting at Holly's worked out fine last time.

• I will be a group of 1 maybe 2. If Cole can't come I might bring a girl friend I work with. She has a Liberty but doesnt want to take it out on the trails.

• EVERYONE ON THE CALENDAR SIGN UP LIST!!!

PLEASE PM ME WITH YOUR DEPARTURE GROUP PLANS!!!

(Yes, I know some are listed there, but I want you to reconfirm by PM-ing me.)

Thanks!

• PLEASE PM ME WITH YOUR DEPARTURE GROUP PLANS!!!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!