@#$*%^*...stinkin' gears.

• I replaced my front driverside hub assembly yesterday as I was getting a squeak and a slight harmonic from the frontend corresponding to wheelspeed and unaffected by brake application. The hub was plenty loose and was definitely in need of replacement...a quick testdrive proved that the squeaking was gone.

Fast forward to my way home from work sans top...coasting up to stoplight and wouldn't you know it the harmonic groan is still there. Check it when I get home and, yup, tons of play in the pinion.

VERDICT: It appears that the original gear setup on BOTH axles wasn't done correctly and that it wasn't a bent driveshaft that caused my rear to go. So for those looking to have gears setup make sure that the person doing it is experienced and make sure that some of the setups they've done in the past aren't having issues. Luckily I caught this early enough that it looks like I just need an install kit and have the existing gears re-setup.

--Ian

• Quote from "DieselCj"

Where did you have your gears done? Or did you do them yourself?

Honestly if I'd done them myself I think they'd have lasted longer...after watching/helping aaron with my 44 I'm pretty confident that with the right tools I could have set it up better. I'm not usually one to talk trash about a company or its services in a public forum so I'll withhold the name of the guilty party in this post...if anyone needs to know as they're concerned about work they're getting done either ask me in person or shoot me a PM and I'll disclose. Otherwise I'd suggest anyone needing gear work go with someone that's done gears for others in DEJA...I'd recommend both aaron (astape) and brian (mopartech) as both have done excellent jobs in the past.

--Ian

• I'll second. Mine were done by Aaron and have not had a problem. :tup:

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!