CNC Machine Interest?

• My dad wants to start to move away from the computer business and wants to get into some more fabrication type stuff like he used to do. We are considering purchasing a CNC machine to be able to cut consistent metal pieces, and have precision that we just can't with the plasma and our hands alone. Also, my dad's friend wants to use it with a router for some wood stuff. So the point of this thread is to guage the interest of DEJA members for some of the products we might be able to make. Would people be interested in bringing their whatever to us and having us fab it up? We figure it would be cheeper than ordering from somewhere else and easier than trying to fab up difficult pieces. But before we take the plunge with that amount of money we wanted to guage interest from people who are close who we thought might be interested.
    *Note* - I'm not sure if this goes here or in swap meet so mods feel free to move it.

• Sounds cool but the average DEJA member isn't building custom parts. The initial investment will be huge for a CNC mill. A CNC plasma table can make most of what the average suspension and jeep builder would need. They can be had in the $10k price range. Even still it may take years to pay for itself.

Good Luck

• We've had a CNC plasma table in the shop for almost 2 years now. They are a great asset to have but you should also take into account the learning curve for the software.

Not everyone will be able to draw up the parts they want cut on CAD software and just bring the file over to you. Most of the time you will need to take the time to design the part for your customer. In my opinion don't buy it in hopes you can pay it off without side work. Buy the machine if it will benefit you in your shop.

If you have any questions when you are looking for a table let me know. I've had two different tables and done a ton of research while purchasing both.

• Sounds cool but the average DEJA member isn't building custom parts. The initial investment will be huge for a CNC mill. A CNC plasma table can make most of what the average suspension and jeep builder would need. They can be had in the $10k price range. Even still it may take years to pay for itself.

Good Luck

Sorry about my lack of terminology. We are looking into a cnc plasma table that you can mount a router or plasma into.

• Will send a PM tonight when I have a chance to sit down with my dad. We have a couple questions but think it will benefit us a lot. The point wasn't to pay it off in any forseeable time period, but just to get a little side business going to help fund our projects without taking into account the cost of the machine.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!