Need some CRD Liberty advice...

• So long story short the wife's JK met an untimely demise. We are in the market for a replacement and I've always been intrigued by the CRD Liberty. Based upon the reading and research I've done it appears the VM Motori 2.8 is a solid performer once a few maintenance/modifications items are addressed. Id like some real world feedback from any owners here. Also, I know it needs a 100K timing belt replacement, so does anyone know of a good diesel/vm motori mechanic I could trust. From what I understand many of the "issues" these motors have are based on incompetent Chrysler mechanics that are clueless with this short lived diesel platform. Educate me.

• As with any Libby in salt belt, Upper and lower ball joints (free dealership replacement) Or just get the lowers replace and get some JeepinByAl uppers

on the CRD, bypass filter, draft tube are two of the standard upgrade.

Also the Euro spec torque converter or one from us here at SUNCOAST diesel transmissions with the tighter stall, billet cover and upgraded internals is really the only trans upgrade (PITA 11 bell housing bolts)

I'm working on a gear drive conversion for the 2.8, but really need to buy a libby to test it in.

As far as a shop, the only place I would take my diesel grand cherokee when I had it was Jeff D'Amrosio in Downingtown, PA. They work on the 2.8 VM's and the 2.5 and 3.0 Merc's on a daily basis. John Hery is the service manager and knows his diesels and jeep very well (and he own a YJ, lol).

-Brad

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• Tell us more about the demise of the JK.

It wasn't due to a mechanical failure if that's what you're looking for though it's demise was typical of SLOPAR luck. :doh:

As far as a shop, the only place I would take my diesel grand cherokee when I had it was Jeff D'Amrosio in Downingtown, PA. They work on the 2.8 VM's and the 2.5 and 3.0 Merc's on a daily basis. John Hery is the service manager and knows his diesels and jeep very well (and he own a YJ, lol).

I was hoping you would chime in since you seem to know a good bit about the Mercedes diesels they were throwing in the Cherokees. He's kind of far from Downingtown though.

• Bill, not when you can trust the work. You bought a truck from them, you know their service dept.

Drive up, Pay for the timing belt swap and have them install the free upper and lower balljoints, the TSB is all over the internet.

-Brad

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• Thanks for the feedback. I'll drive anywhere necessary to have quality work done as it's rare to find these days.

• Wow! I hope everyone is ok. does insurance consider that an act of nature? That's one bad ass tweety bird! Bet he tweeted JIIHAADD first.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!