2000 Jeep TJ Motor Swap

• In the recent past my 2000 Wrangler with a 4 banger in it blew up. So now I have the privilege of fixing her up. I am sure I will get facepalms and headshakes but, I am putting another 4 back in it. It's already in the shed, waiting to be modded and put in where the existing one is.

I read a Jeep mod post a couple days ago here stating that all the mods done to it didn't make a lick of difference in power. However, I do want to give it a shot anyway, seeing as how the 4 cylinder will drop right back in, and right now I can spend a little money.

So, without further conversation, I'd like to start off with the first replacement. The headers, I've searched quadratec, jcwhitney, summit racing, and other places across the net and still haven't found much for the 4 cylinder! There are tons and tons of headers for the 6 but almost nothing for the 4. I did however come across this...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PSM-70-1138/

I was wondering if you some of you more knowledgeable guys could tell me if that will fit on my Wrangler? I know it read 97-98 but maybe was hoping that the years wouldn't make that much of a difference? (Correct me if I'm wrong.) But this is the first thing I'd like to change is the headers on the motor then work into the rest of the exhaust... I have a list in front of me for the rest of the stuff I am going to replace.

Radiator & Hoses, heater core hoses
    Fan
    Motor Mounts and Tran Mounts
    Intake
    Flywheel & Clutch Assembly
    Starter
    Battery
    Alternator
    Oil and Filter
    Coolant
    Tran Fluid and Filter
    Powersteering resevoir
    Cap and Rotor
    Plugs
    Wires
    Coils
    Rotors and Pads

Feel free to throw out any opinions, thoughts, ideas.. Thank you.

This is usually where you put a signature, instead I'll let everyone know I am looking for a CJ8 Scrambler.

• Banks makes on for the 2.5 says it will fit 91-11. I know on the 6cyl the 97-99 headers have one outlet and the 00 and up headers have two. Here is a link to banks but they are almost $400 bucks what will likely be very little gain on the 4 banger. If your redoing the entire exhaust I dont see why the pacesetter wouldnt work. As long as your new exhaust still has provisions for the o2 sensors.

http://bankspower.com/products/show/?option_id=220|54|Gas%20Trucks%2C%20%0A91-11%20Jeep%20-%204.0L%2C%203.8L%20%26%202.5L|6

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Yes I am redoing the entire exhaust. Front to back. I know what the 02 sensors are but, what are you getting at?

This is usually where you put a signature, instead I'll let everyone know I am looking for a CJ8 Scrambler.

• At this point yeah, I might just do the OEM replacement. Sounds like my best bet.

• Bump... I've done alot of work in the past couple of weeks... I'm not sure how to post pictures, but you are all more than welcome to check out my Facebook page for photos. Just send me a request... Name is Jordan Day.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!