om617 diesel swap

• Nice! :up: :up:

The 617 was high on my list for candidates but could never get over the front sump pan and lack of clearance, you do anything to account for that or just bumpstop it since you've got plenty of height? I ended up selling the donor 300td that I had for mine.

--Ian

• I'm still exploring this option in the back of my mind with out the wife knowing. LOL, I purchased a rebuilt 304 in the spring but still want a diesel. Congrats on the swap. I want a 4bt but guess I missed the boat on that one as the only ones I can find are rebuilt or in need of rebuilt.

What tranny are you running with that???

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• Thanks, im runny my ax15 the fly wheel back is all stock jeep. I would have loved to do a 4bt but tyere so damn. Pricey and the adaptors are another 2 grand this swap can be done for about. $1, 200 and I only had about $400 out of pocket the rest I sold some parts to cover the rest

• IMHO without drivetrain changes the OM617 is a better choice than the 4bt if just aiming for gas->diesel. Given the rpm range and durability of the motors they seem to be a good match for a 1:1 replacement of a Jeep 4 or 6....turn it up a little and it should have decent power with much improved economy. The 4BT is a great motor and it's nice in the -10 but with the power, weight, and traditional low-rev diesel rpm range it'll need some significant changes to be 'right' :shrug:

I'd really like to get my hands on a b3.3t but they seem to be made of unobtanium around here.

--Ian

• Nice! :up: :up:

The 617 was high on my list for candidates but could never get over the front sump pan and lack of clearance, you do anything to account for that or just bumpstop it since you've got plenty of height? I ended up selling the donor 300td that I had for mine.

--Ian

I will probably the the merc tagged (or at least 100% taggable) by the end of NOV.

-Brad

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• IMHO without drivetrain changes the OM617 is a better choice than the 4bt if just aiming for gas->diesel. Given the rpm range and durability of the motors they seem to be a good match for a 1:1 replacement of a Jeep 4 or 6....turn it up a little and it should have decent power with much improved economy. The 4BT is a great motor and it's nice in the -10 but with the power, weight, and traditional low-rev diesel rpm range it'll need some significant changes to be 'right' :shrug:

I'd really like to get my hands on a b3.3t but they seem to be made of unobtanium around here.

--Ian

Pretty reactive stuff.. Very unstable.. Would need a lot of shielding to prevent radiation exposure.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Pretty reactive stuff.. Very unstable.. Would need a lot of shielding to prevent radiation exposure.

LMAO, I've looked @ the Nissan 4BD1-T also. sweet little bugger. I'm thinking about it all again since I bought the 304. I still have to change everything over for the 304 swap so thinking I may just want to explore the diesel option again one last time. I bought the Ford T-18 too but may end up using a diesel manual instead...

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• U still regeared? That was one reason I was looking at a diesel swap to keep my current gears...

Keep in mind that the merc diesels handle much high rpms than 'typical' diesels...IIRC their max HP is in the 4300rpm range.

Yup, intardnet confirms it (higher than I thought):

OM617 (3L, 5 cyl) '81-'85: Pre Aug '83 - 123 HP @ 4350, post Aug '83 - 125 HP @ 4350, 170 lbft @ 2400 RPM

In fact, based on the BSFC above and peak torque I'd say best cruising RPM for power and mileage is in a very gasser-esque 2000-2500 range.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!