YJ Tailgate box... might work ..

• Stumbled across this on the Harbor freight site , would think this might bolt nicely on to the back of a YJ tailgate.

http://www.harborfreight.com/a…ler-tongue-box-65439.html

Overall dimensions: 14-1/4" L x 34-1/8" W x 16" H

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• What's your thought on mounting that box if you got one? Inside or outside of tailgate? Doesn't look like you'd be able to fit a spare tire carrier if you mounted it to the outside @ 14.25" deep. Also at around 50 lbs (unloaded) it'll be pulling the tailgate off it's hinges. If you fabbed up the tailgate to drop down and then mounted the box to the ouside I think that'd work pretty nice. Just buy some heavier cable stops for the tailgate and maybe a cushioned bump stop to keep the bottom of the box from hitting the bumper or tub.

If you still have a rear seat in I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be enough room to mount it to the inside of the tailgate. I think the sub box I have in my YJ is about a foot at the base and it tapers in towards the top. It's a tight squeeze to get the tailgate shut with the rear seat in and the box actually gets pushed into the seat frame some.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• They idea that it would mount to the inside of the tail gate and open out for easy access. It's shape would let the tailgate open and since a YJ tailgate is like 35.5" the 34 " box might work very well.. Suppose it would work the same for a TJ. Cheaper than a tuffy for sure.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!