Jan. 19 Trail Run - report

• Ah, what a wonderful day. Until my fuel pump went out...on Snake Bite (blue) approximately 100 yds from the end?!
    Geoff arrived before me and as far as I know...I was the late arrival. :mrgreen:
    I'll post pictures this evening.

• I'll let Randy give the full report with all the trails covered but here's the stats:

GPS tracks: http://goo.gl/maps/GZnY3

Created by Google My Tracks on Android.Name: RC 1/19/13
    Activity type: -
    Description: -
    Total distance: 17.18 km (10.7 mi)
    Total time: 7:58:56
    Moving time: 4:01:27
    Average speed: 2.15 km/h (1.3 mi/h)
    Average moving speed: 4.27 km/h (2.7 mi/h)
    Max speed: 26.78 km/h (16.6 mi/h)
    Average pace: 27.88 min/km (44.9 min/mi)
    Average moving pace: 14.06 min/km (22.6 min/mi)
    Fastest pace: 2.24 min/km (3.6 min/mi)
    Max elevation: 493 m (1618 ft)
    Min elevation: 431 m (1413 ft)
    Elevation gain: 624 m (2048 ft)
    Max grade: 25 %
    Min grade: -20 %
    Recorded: 1/19/2013 9:02am

Some highlights...it was a day of tire damage. On the pole line hill with the 3 paths near trail 5 a few of us hit a rock pretty damn hard. Tore two holes in my front driver sidewall (Hey Sal - MTR's finally met their match) and Dee/Pat's as well. Quick tire change for me, thanks to Randy for the loaner...I made the classic 'I'm only going to run easy trails today and don't need a spare' mistake. Dee and Pat patched theirs. The 4 door JK needed a little tug back on the hill at 1a, couldn't crest the top. On Snakebite Tim took a branch to the rear passenger tire and it ate some wood between the tire/wheel with a slow leak. On Snakebite I decided to park my drivers side front (technically I guess that was Randy's tire ;)) on Pat/Dee's rear driver. Hindsight being 20/20 doing that on a trail that was slightly off camber where they were sitting higher than me wasn't the smartest move as my rear came up about 6 inches off the ground and I was pretty damn close to leaning it on it's side. Shortly after that Glen's CJ decided not to start, after a few minutes of troubleshooting it seemed to be the fuel pump (a rather random thing to die mid-trail). Wayne towed him back to the parking lot and after Keith got his on the trailer they did a fuel pump swap and all was right in the world. Good day on the trail, there was about 2 inches of fresh powder which always makes things more fun. The sun was shining and it probably got up to mid-40's after a cold morning.

• As Geoff said the weather and the trail conditions were perfect. We had nine Jeeps in the group ranging from Mark's stock (nearly stock?) JK Rubi short bus, to Dee and Gaven's heavily modded trail rigs. I did my best to try to find trails to accommodate everyone, I hope you all had fun. Those in attendance were, mskillen, Daddanelena, Stafford, Stomper, Tim (forgot your screen name), cj8, Gaven, RedOliver, and me, Shorebird. Now I'll bore you with the trail selection. We started on 1a (as usual) running the blue loop and some of us running the black. We were the first to run this trail in the fresh snow. On to the Pole Line heading southeast to the Three Hills then to C. We ran the CV trail and at the exit Gaven took a shot at the Trail 5 Hill climb. Cold wet tries and a rear ARB that didn't want to lock prompted a tricky off camber (to say the least) 180 to rejoin the group. We then hit O and some of the group stayed on the green while others ran the black. Trail 8 (black) was next. I split Gaven and the Pat/Dee team off at Cemetary (black/red) and we proceeded to 25 with some of the group breaking off to run Boot Hill. We all met for lunch at the "Lunch Spot" near the exit of 22. Following lunch we all backtracked to 22 (purple) and ran it onto 21 exiting at Lake Christy. We skirted the lake and Gaven ran the exit hills attempting to find the most difficult lines. He offered me his drivers seat and I accepted. We dropped down to the lake level, as did Wayne. While Wayne was running the exit hill, Gaven and I did another hill up then back down. I then crawled Gaven's "Beast" out. Quite an experience! Snakebite was next. While some were running that trail Mark and I skirted around to the exit where we spotted another group broken down on Snakebite blocking our Jeeps. That's where Tim's tire started going flat due to the wood stuck in the bead and then Glenn's fuel pump failed. Time to head back! Wayne towed Glenn out and then we loaded Jeeps, swapped tires and fuel pumps, aired up and got every one on the road home except Wayne, who decided to spend the night in the "Explorer Hilton" A fitting end to a Great day.

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

• Some Videos from the trip

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• One more =)

• Mark and Glen/Max. Nice pictures and videos of the trip. Glen no problem on the parts swap, us jeepers do what it takes to help one another out. Got Tims tire fixed and working on some other problems with his Jeep. Mark I noticed in one of the pictures you dented the bumper end if you can't get to pop out let me know I have a factory front bumper looking for a new home.

• Hey Keith,
    I appreciate the offer on the bumper, but this one will eventually be replaced with something else.
    It cant stay stock for too long lol, I have plans ;D

Thanks
    Mark

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!