surf fishing 101

• Heres some links on how to read the surf for better fishing our local beaches.

http://www.stripersonline.com/…ing-the-beach-quiz-thread

http://www.stripersonline.com/…5/reading-the-water-again

These to me are key to being productive on the surf. Not to mention bait which really depends on the year...

Summer flounder: flounder rig with live minnows or a white or chartreuse ( neon green) top bottom jig with gulps of the same color.

Summer rockfish: white Bucktails with eel tails or chunk some bunker and use a " Hatteras" rig or use a 36-42 inch leader with a 8 circle hook. Or using gator spoons.... These are hard to find there's only one place I seen these. Dans tackle shop in Milton.

Spot: 2 circle hook and fish bites... ( kinda like the sunfish of the sea) kids love catching these things haha.

Croaker: fish bites, blood worms, squid.

Kingfish: same as croakers and box squid. Not the processed squid strips. The stuff in the box 3-4 bucks at tackle stores. Use small strips and use small hooks.

Pompano and trout : fish bites and bloodworms.... Back in the day I used to catch 25-30" trout on bunker.... But they are finally showing back up thank god.

Blues and drum usually show up around end of august beginning of september. Blues u can pretty much catch randomly all year but the migrate towards this area at that time.. They pretty much eat anything. Just use blue rigs or steel leaders or they will cut just about any line you throw out there. Drums usually got for mullet chunks. Just watch the birds and for shiners to be jumping out of the water that will be your target areas....

Stripers usually come around the time dogwood trees bloom in the summer... Ideal times and water temps are 54-60 degrees and the back end of high tide. In the fall they usually come down from jersey and pretty much all but skip the henlopen park area unless there's a strong inshore wind.

And if you wanna catch shark just ask. I'm not gonna post unless enough people ask #1 because there is strict rules on shark fishing in the surf which carry huge fines if they are not followed and I don't wanna be the one who posts how to catch a bull shark... ( which I have caught these in the surf and if I could figure out how to post pics I would). Unfortunately there is so many endangered species of sharks in our waters its safe to say if you caught a shark with teeth your got a endangered species.

Hope this helps the ones who wanna catch dinner surf fishing! :fishing:

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!