yj wobbles.... grrrr

• Ok so I had to get equal put in my tires to balance them.... and at about what I think is about 60 mph I get a very violent wobble.... now it is a yj with rough 8 inches of lift.... I replaced all the tie rod ends and also did a drop pitman arm. Then when I got the guy to do the alignment he said that there is a bind in the steering somewhere.... sooooo.... is there a way I cam do the alignment on my own so I can quit paying 100 $ everytime I go somewhere.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• you want to have about 1/8 of toe in on the front.. i measure at the inside rim edge on the front tire and you want the front edge 1/8 shorter than the back edge. I have done 20 YJ's, TJ's and my JK or so this way when replacing components, and stopped going to alignment shops because they have all been within spec when aligned. camber is not easily corrected without shims on the leaf pack as you need to rotate the axle to correct that....which if you have 8" of lift may be one of your main problems. might be time to think about having your front axle re-done to correct geometry for your lift.

• Ok I'm a little lost or I'm flat stupid.... where would you benchmark your measurement off of.... I know you said in side of rim but I'm trying to figure out were I'm measuring too.... is it to the tierod I'm turnint or what.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• How are you getting 8" of lift (springs,shackles,body lift, etc). I'm sure that someone will correct me but I think the only thing you can align easily is toe in or out. If she goes down the road and doesn't pull right or left or wear the tires unevenly your alignment should be ok. Are you running a track bar? I know that one is not necessarily needed, but if you're getting the 8" of lift from springs and shackles the front axle could be moving back and forth causing the wobble. I'm running about 6" of lift, 4" spring and 2" body on 35's, and have no wobble problems, however I rarely run over 65mph. Are the tires new or used? Can you borrow a set of tires to see if the problem goes away? You also may try putting the back tires on the front to see if it's any better. Just a few ideas!

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

• Ok I'm a little lost or I'm flat stupid.... where would you benchmark your measurement off of.... I know you said in side of rim but I'm trying to figure out were I'm measuring too.... is it to the tierod I'm turnint or what.

you are looking for a 1/8 difference in the numbers...the starting number is the distance rim to rim of your rig (will vary due to backspacing, spacers, axle width, ect. basically take the back dimension, subtract the front dimension and adjust your tie rod till you get 1/8 inch.

you can use your drag link to adjust your steering wheel to center once the toe is set

caster you can't do much about except shim the leaf springs at the axle, but your pinion angle will limit your adjustment. (without customizing your axle)

hope it helps. Ive only dealt with 4inch and less lifts.

• Well right now I've been on the phone with rough country for a few days because my shocks are actually fully extended.... they think the sent me the wrong leaf springs.... go figure.... but I'm wondering if the pitman arms good because it was only ment for 4 inches.... I guess what I'm trying to do is pinpoit the areas that could be the issue of the wobble...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!