Fishing (not surf) in delaware

• picked up my DE fishing license today, in hopes to start a father/son activity since we spend a lot of time at White clay, and Lums. 2 questions. It seems the license only needs to be "carried" not "displayed" as i am used to in PA. that mean i can just keep it in my wallet, and im good?

also..anyone have any calm spots they can share? i know there are several ponds around, and i know a couple spots on white clay, but with trout season in progress i didnt want to distrub the mono-filament battles...thinking some simple worm and bobber type fishing.

may rent a rowboat and hit lums pond once the temps stabilize..

• Up until recently the license had to be displayed. However the DNRC officer at at Lums informed me this is no longer the case. Said it just needs to be nearby. I keep mine in my wallet.
    My dad used to take us to Lums as a kid and anchor up just outside of the dog training area. We would catch sunfish and bluegills all day long with night crawlers and a bobber. If u go one DNRC web page, you can down load the delaware ponds booklet. It shows what species are where, depths, features and man made fish attractors for any pond that is maintained by the state. Killens has a few brush piles right along the shore line. The spillway at becks is full of panfish also.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Yeah he's right I was on the pier in lewes and the wardens checked up about every hour or so.... silver lake is also a sweet spot. Right by the boat ramp and by the spill way there. But your looking for a good father and son outting you chose the right one. After almost 25 years my father and I still talk about our fishing trips. More then anything else. :fishing:

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• thanks guys. got him a spider-man bait caster today and he has been catching fish all through the house (weighted fish that came with it) picked up some cool bobbers that hide the hook when casting..we will see how they work. might save some ER trips that i remember fishing as a kid LOL.

will have to try lums next weekend..has their water quality improved any? ive heard interesting stories about bacteria levels and such.

• You can't swim there if that's what you mean. I would worry too much otherwise. There are several spots to fish from the shore too. Lums has plenty of decent sized fish, they are just over pressured and very finicky. Nightcrawlers + shiners you will catch some.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!