intake and exhaust gasket question!

• just rebuilt 90 yj 4.2 motor and have exhaust leak .engine kit came with one thin gasket for all it leaks I bought felpro gasket kit a while ago and never got to install it it came with two gaskets one for each just looking for input ! if takes two gaskets where does intake gasket go inside or out side of exhaust gasket?

Wayne

• just rebuilt 90 yj 4.2 motor and have exhaust leak .engine kit came with one thin gasket for all it leaks I bought felpro gasket kit a while ago and never got to install it it came with two gaskets one for each just looking for input ! if takes two gaskets where does intake gasket go inside or out side of exhaust gasket?

Wayne

From Jeepforum...
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum…ls-without-gasket-217190/

I think that from the factory, 4.2's only had the intake gasket, and the exhaust was metal to metal. After market parts places make a gasket which mates both the intake and exhaust manifolds to the block. The dealer only sells stock parts, so they don't offer the combo gasket. (sorry for answering my own questions, but between the YJ forum, and another jeep forum, I pretty well have it figured out.)

Combo gasket

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Any gasket set I got for my old 258 head was a 2 peicer. The exhaust manifold gasket was a metal coated material and I'm almost positive that it went up against the head. The intake gasket was a cardboard type material that would go between the intake manifold and exhaust manifold gasket. Tighting the intake manifold down would crush the metal coated exhaust manifold gasket to seal around the openings.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!