jeep on fire at Rausch Creek

• Reading theses types of posts always makes me evaluate my rig and my actions. On the list now, 5LB Extinguisher, Upgrade soon, latching seat belts (4 pt).

• Honestly, by the time you realize you need an extinguisher, it's probably too late. Most extinguishers are emptied without ever really affecting the fire. Ask a cop, we roll up on a car fire and there's usually two or three cops standing around watching it burn while holding empty extinguishers. People don't know where to aim and how to apply...they panic...understably. Their shit is burning up right before their eyes. Electrical fires are not so hard to extinguish. But once the fuel starts leaking out, forget it, RUN! I know it's pointless to tell you not to try to save your gear, but at least have it in one tub that you can grab and go. Once you're clear of it, stay clear. Cars do not "ASSPLODE" when they burn like in any movie featuring Vin Diesel. But the tires will burst. When burning fuel is spreading all over the ground, the force of the rupturing tire can spray that fuel in lots of directions...where it will vaporize...rapidly...and burn...brightly. I've seen car fires that take 500 gallons of water or more to extinguish. What do you really think that dinky little cylinder is going to achieve? If you are succesful, STOP APPLYING AGENT! You may need it if it reignites. Disconnect the battery asap. Tow it back. Do not try to repair it out in the middle of nowhere away from water.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!