hd steering yj

• I've been reading online that anything over 4" inches of lift I should upgrade to a heavier draglink and etc. I guess what I am asking is you guys opinion on this. I have about 6 inches of suspension lift on my yj now and running 33's.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• I've been reading online that anything over 4" inches of lift I should upgrade to a heavier draglink and etc. I guess what I am asking is you guys opinion on this. I have about 6 inches of suspension lift on my yj now and running 33's.

Not so much about lift but tire size and your wheeling habits. I am running a 1 ton drag and tie rod because it will hold up well off road with 35s. Also makes it harder to bend a tie rod. If its a street Jeep, don't worry about it. Stock will be fine.

There are two ways to do this... Home brew or off the shelf. Currie and the like make a good product, but the ends typically still use the smaller (Stock) diameter pins that can be a weak point. (Some will require reeming) Home brew, you use stock Chevy 1 ton ends and ream out the knuckles and pitman arm to accommodate the larger ends. These are really beefy . This requires a tapered drill bit. You then weld in threaded inserts on DOM tubing. Probably best to go with the off the shelf method unless you can weld, or have a custom application. I have also seen weld at home kits available.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• Well.... I do plan on taking it up to rc starting next spring I'm putting together my build list for my winter time build. Last year I did the lift sye and driveshaft this winter I'm doing a Dana 44 regear and some armor underneath along with a few odds and ends and alocker.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Well.... I do plan on taking it up to rc starting next spring I'm putting together my build list for my winter time build. Last year I did the lift sye and driveshaft this winter I'm doing a Dana 44 regear and some armor underneath along with a few odds and ends and alocker.

I would say armor and gears / locker will serve you better now than beefing up the tie rod and drag link. But i would not take them off your list. Might want to get a spare stock tie rod and drag link to carry around. Real cheap, and good insurance.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• There are two ways to do this... Home brew or off the shelf. Currie and the like make a good product, but the ends typically still use the smaller (Stock) diameter pins that can be a weak point.

The Currie system is really beefy. Not sure who "the like" is.

And while it does retain the stock size holes, the TRE's are massive compared to stock. I haven't heard of that being a weak point.

• Well I guess where I'm getting at is this would a beffy center and drag fix the bump steer I have and would it be suitable for off road as well as on the road.

• Well I guess where I'm getting at is this would a beffy center and drag fix the bump steer I have and would it be suitable for off road as well as on the road.

It's not going to fix bump steer.

With 6" of lift you probably need to move something.

• Yep did the complete lift dropped pitman sye drive shaft.... All of it.... My drag link still has a little bit of angle to it and I am wondering if its supposed to be parallel with the centerlink or what.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!