Video card upgrade

• I need some advice from upgrading video card in my aging computer. Current have the following:

Dell e520
    Intel Pentium D 2.80 Ghz
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    8 GB Ram
    2 TB internal, 2 TB external HDD
    120 GB SSD for OS
    Radeon X1300/X1550 Series video card (256MB)
    OEM power supply (305w)

The computer runs great with Win7 and a processor upgrade is in the works. However, several new programs such as Photoshop do not like the video graphics card and would like to run on something 512MB or greater. Looking at several different cards on Amazon, just curious if anyone has any advice?

• The problem is going to be power. Most high end video cards have dedicated power connections in addition to what it pulls from the PCI slot. You need to find one that doesn't need that since the power supply on the E520 likely doesn't do that. I used to have an E510 with an upgraded video card, I'll try to dig it out of the attic in the morning and see if the card is still there. Remind me at JFJ tomorrow.

• Thanks. It does not have an power connection from the PS to the video card. The current card was an add on that I installed a while ago, just need something better then I have. Looking for something in the 512 to 1 gb range that will run on the power from the PCI slot. Any brands better then the other or what brands should I stay away from?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!