Coil Spring Isolators

• I am new to modifications on anything let alone a 1996 ZJ, I have done everything by reading online and by books. I have lifted 6 inches. 4 inch coil springs and 2" spacers. I have removed the coil spring isolators as they were trashed. My problem is that the front end is real loud/noisy. I hear what sound like springs popping and the front feels a little sloopy at times. The questions I have are : are the coil spring isolators absolutely required or is it a choice? Will going thru the effort of putting them back in cut the noise?

I have done this all by myself and I am really just ready to take my kids out to play, but the sounds concern me (safety wise).

• They do take the abuse from the coil springs and will cut down on the noise as far as the slop goes have you checked to see that everything is tight and are you running short arms or long arms
    You should check all the tie rod ends if they are the original ones and also check the track bar to see if there is any play in it

• The coil isolators keep the noise and felt vibration down a little. Without them, you'll get more metal on metal noise from the springs rubbing the body-mounted bracket and the extra vibrations coming in will translate to noise through the body. Running a short-arm lift over 3" will give a noticeable increase in "harshness" from the suspension, and could generate more noise due to the increased vibration in the body shaking anything with play in it. I'd recommend getting new isolators and installing them.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Could it just be that I am not use to the way a lifted vehicle feels?

Some truth to that too.

I recently installed a tummy-tuck with what basically amounts to a solid tranny mount as opposed to a 2" inch rubber factory mount.

Way more vibration from the engine even sitting still idling.

There's no free lunch as they say.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!