Superchips... really?

• Cliff notes: Superchips sucks.

After throwing on the larger tires on my JK, I figured I should correct the speedometer. I could have just gotten an AEV ProCal to fix that, but decided to get a programmer to squeeze a little extra juice from the motor and adjust a couple settings that I can't do since this Jeep doesn't have the "EVIC" steering wheel controls.

Well, today Fedex finally shows up at 7:09pm with the delivery from Quadratec. I plug the programmer into my desktop computer to update the software, but after downloading the 80MB file from the website (slow server, too) and installing the software, Windows can't load the driver. Great. And no driver downloads on the website? Lame. Well, I figure that my Jeep was built in 2011 and I just got the programmer, it should be fine...

So, out to the Jeep I go and plug in the programmer. I pick the "Advanced Tune" option so I can pick what settings I like and it sloooowly downloads the stock software, then slowly saves it. Then, after 15 minutes it comes back with a message saying it doesn't have my Jeep in its database and to download an update. Now, I get to fight with removing the cable from the OBD port for a good 5 minutes and finally just yank it out.

Back to the computer... drivers still not loading. Sigh... a few rounds of uninstalling the device and trying to manually load the drivers later, and I finally get it to work. Now for the software. Takes forever to load the firmware from the programmer and then goes online to get an update... and boom "UPDATE FAILED We do not currently have support for your vehicle." But, it says that just enter in my email address and they'll let me know when a tune is available, which will supposedly be "about two weeks". Come on! I can see if I had a brand new Jeep that there could be a delay. But a Jeep that's almost 3 years old?

/Rant.

I went with Superchips because it had a special "crawl" tune they hyped for offroading, but... now I guess it wasn't that important. Guess I'll be making a trip up to West Chester tomorrow after work... Just not sure which programmer to go with. Probably Diablosport since they ruled the muscle car circuit when I had my Charger.

Anybody want to buy a brand-new barely-used programmer? ::)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!