New to jeeps

• So I've been in Dover for 3 years going on 4. Recently re enlisted so I blew my bonus on a new vehicle. Needless to say I test drove a 12' Sierra jk unlimited. I grew up in the country(originally from ohio) and love to go riding. I'm pretty new to the whole jeep scene though and would love some advice. I'm completely stock atm and working on a bit of a budget. Thanks again. Excited to get started!

• Welcome!

"You're only as tall as your lowest point"...keep that saying in mind when weighing the options of what to buy next.

I see many newer Wrangler's on base with 32-35's. Seems like a popular size. I'd start with getting bigger tires and a selectable front locker. Everything else will follow suit. Brands such as ARB, Eaton and Yukon come to mind.

&#039;98 XJ 4 door, 4.7L Stroker, stock. (4&quot; long arm and 4&quot; stretch in progress for 35&#039;s)<br /><br />&#039;96 GMC Sonoma, 5.7L LS1, 4L65E, NP241, D44/D60 8 lug, partial roll cage, 37x12.50R17 Trail Grapplers

• Sorry had to change my profile but since it's basically brand new I'm gonna start with the safest of off roading. Don't exactly want to destroy my main vehicle or roll a 34k jeep lok

• Welcome! Once you start modding your Jeep, you can just throw that budget right out the window. :laughing: The Jeep bug bites hard and it's almost always terminal! (<- to your wallet)

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Sorry had to change my profile but since it's basically brand new I'm gonna start with the safest of off roading. Don't exactly want to destroy my main vehicle or roll a 34k jeep lok

Just take it easy on the trails since it's your main vehicle and I agree, a $34k dollar vehicle is bit nice to wheel hard. Where I'm from (and I'm guessing here too) there are plenty of stock Jeep rides and I've even seen stock H3 Hummer and FJCruiser trail rides for those who want the experience of offroading but need to get to work the next morning using the same vehicle. Green trails will be your best bet.

&#039;98 XJ 4 door, 4.7L Stroker, stock. (4&quot; long arm and 4&quot; stretch in progress for 35&#039;s)<br /><br />&#039;96 GMC Sonoma, 5.7L LS1, 4L65E, NP241, D44/D60 8 lug, partial roll cage, 37x12.50R17 Trail Grapplers

• Welcome to the Jeep Interwebs. :driving:

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• Just take it easy on the trails since it's your main vehicle and I agree, a $34k dollar vehicle is bit nice to wheel hard. Where I'm from (and I'm guessing here too) there are plenty of stock Jeep rides and I've even seen stock H3 Hummer and FJCruiser trail rides for those who want the experience of offroading but need to get to work the next morning using the same vehicle. Green trails will be your best bet.

Throw on some good skids and rocker protection first, Wheel it on green and and mostly blue trails. Lift, gears, lockers and bigger tires come later.

What you will want for starters...

Rocker protection, diff covers, control arrm skids, belly/engine skids, gas tank skid, evap skid.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/j…rangler-jk-skidplates.htm

JK guys will chime in on what plating they suggest.

Wheel it like that and learn, see what set ups people us and like.

Remember the can of worms effect..
    - Big Tires +$1300 I can afford that...
    -- Nice wheels to go with +$1000
    --- Lift for big tires, +$1500, I'm still ok,
    ---- Crap this think drives like crap, I need better gears installed, + $900
    ----- Hell , new gears need a carrier, add a locker too , +$1200
    ------ Failed inspection , Needs wider flares, +$400
    ------- Crap, snapped an axle, needs stronger axles now +600
    --------Jeep looks like crap without a winch, +800
    ---------Stock front bumper looks goofy with that new winch +$500
    ----------Rear tire is stressingout the carrier, needs rear bumper/ carrier +_$600

Crap, can't pay my rent, bank repo'd Jeep..

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Welcome! Once you start modding your Jeep, you can just throw that budget right out the window. :laughing: The Jeep bug bites hard and it's almost always terminal! (<- to your wallet)

Bought my JKU in October last year. I cringe every time I open my Jeep spending spreadsheet. In just over 6 months I've spent $7,135.71 on mods/one repair. Almost all of them unbudgeted but well worth every penny!!!! Enjoy.

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.&nbsp; These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives.&nbsp; All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.&nbsp; Cannot the kingdom of salvation, take me home.

• LOL to funny but very true!!!

Baby steps, my growth was gradual over a couple years but after a couple inches of lift, skid plates and bigger tires, I have a set up I like and do blues and occasional blacks - usually not on purpose - without many concerns. Even better I can get it without having to duck.

Keep in minde with every add-on, fuel mileage goes down too.

• you can always pick up a surf rod, and a beach permit, and use your 4wd on the beach and meet many of us that way....a lot cheaper than the spreadsheet of mods........but once it bites, you'll be looking at the spreadsheet and saying...that would be nice to have.....

welcome

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!