M416 1/4 ton military trailer....

• Keith and Steve, thanks for the ideas. Keith, my one big concern is that I am not nearly as good a welder as you are. Steve, I looked at that link, and what bothers me is that you can't tell what size the trailer body is. I don't see any specs at all, and the particular one you've pointed out seems to be the newer, wider model that my TJ just can't handle. But I like the idea!

I was talking with Scott Taylor yesterday (no, he did not fall off the planet). He suggested that I make the box frame myself, the have some sheet metal precisely cut and welded for the skin. It could then by bed lined for a finished look.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• I thought everyone might like to see an M-416 trailer that I looked at a few days ago in Dover. It's located at Murray's Surplus, and a salesman just sent these pics to me. I'm waiting to see how good a deal I can get on it. Honestly, I'm not as excited about it as I was a week ago. so if anyone else is fired up about owning an M-416, I'll keep you posted on this one. Also, if you military trailer experts see any glaring problems with this one, please shout out.

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• Yeah if the floor is good, I might get it myself! Gotta figure out registration, though.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I thought everyone might like to see an M-416 trailer that I looked at a few days ago in Dover. It's located at Murray's Surplus, and a salesman just sent these pics to me. I'm waiting to see how good a deal I can get on it.

The downside of Murray's is that they believe not only is all their inventory dipped in gold, but they are the only ones on the east coast that have that particular item. Just ask them.

• The downside of Murray's is that they believe not only is all their inventory dipped in gold, but they are the only ones on the east coast that have that particular item. Just ask them.

And telling them that you recognize this particular trailer as the one you used to pull around Panama with an infantry brigade in 1977 doesn't cut you any slack either....in case you were thinking of trying that approach.

• Jerry, please register it in Maine so I can see Keith kick your ass!! :spinrhead:

My hold-up is the lack of tailgate... I really prefer the Canadian version like Quantam73 has. But, those are almost worth their weight in gold. Meanwhile the 3/4ton trailers are a dime a dozen, just way too heavy to pull with a stock TJ or JK (IMO).

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!