• I wanna do an axle swap on my XJ. I know I wanna put a ford 8.8 rear axle in it, but not to sure what to put as the front axle? Should I search for a dana 44 or just put a HP Dana 30 as the front? Any suggestion?

My White 96 XJ is my obsession.<br />My Jeep is a work in process, but doesn&#039;t mean it can&#039;t do what yours does. <br />Don&#039;t Tread On Me!<br />Jeeps don&#039;t get speeding tickets, they get tickets for being Badass!

• What are your plans for the Jeep? What's the biggest tire size, and will you have lockers? Do you use brains or your right foot more on the trails? :) My XJ on 32s and 35s never broke anything with the LP 30 and still never broke anything with the HP 30 swap, but I didn't lock the front and tried to use as much finesse as possible. I put a Detroit locker in the rear (29spline 8.25), and that still hasn't broken the stock shafts.

Your 96 should already have a HP 30, they didn't switch to low pinions until 2000. Carry spare shaft and you'll be fine... the weak point is usually the gears. I've seen a lot of them grind the teeth off the ring gear like an ear of corn, but that's usually due to fooling around or a really weird situation. If you're gonna winch somebody, put it in neutral and use the brakes! If you have the 8.25 rear, you'll likely have the 27spline unless it's a late production and happened to get the 1997 axle with 29spline shafts. The 29spline axle is a little stronger than a 44, but the 8.8 is stronger than both. A good choice if you want to be able to beat on it a little more.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!