To change or not to change...

• Black Betty blew a rear wheel brake cylinder tonight while driving home. Gonna change it tomorrow, but the brake shoes have fluid on them, with a lot of pad left. Should I change the shoes also or just the cylinder? The interweb is giving conflicting stories. Just wanted to get an opinion from a group I trust.
    Thanks
    Ron :wavey:

People sleep peacably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on thier behalf.<br />- George Orwell.<br /><br />&#924;&#927;&#923;&#937;&#925; &#923;&#913;&#914;&#917;

• You can use brake clean to get the fluid off the shoes but in my opinion I would definitely just replace the shoes. We are talking about stopping your vehicle so why risk it. Better to be safe than sorry.

• Agreed... I'd use the opportunity to replace the shoes, they're cheap. Put in fresh shoes and adjust them. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Thanks guys.changed everything today with my son with no extra parts,bled the brakes with the help of wifey and all is good! Also got a call from my daughter during the process her car was acting up with the check engine light on. Quick stop at autozone for a scan and$120 later we changed the mass flow air sensor and we are back in business :tup: :tup: . Hopefully that's it for a while, now just gotta chase down my death wobble. Hard parts done already changed the upper and lower ball joints, now on to the rest. Wish me luck.

People sleep peacably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on thier behalf.<br />- George Orwell.<br /><br />&#924;&#927;&#923;&#937;&#925; &#923;&#913;&#914;&#917;

• No extra parts... That's uncommon. ;)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!