Help choosing lift

• Ok...this may be a bit long but...

1990 YJ. Not my daily driver, want to possibly go to 33's and am planning on doing it as cheap as possible since I will not be doing any hard core trail riding. This is what I am looking into... :shrug:

I have (not installed) a 2 inch shackle lift.

I want to also go with a budget lift Add-A-Leaf Lift. Options are:

Ebay/Mako Off Road Products - (From the web page) A complete brand new Mako Offroad 3 inch budget lift for a Jeep Wrangler YJ model. It comes with 2 add a leafs and center bolts for the front and 2 add a leafs and center bolts for the rear. You can reuse all of your stock parts and be able to fit larger tires on your Jeep. Later you can add shackles or a body lift to this and go even higher. This is the perfect entry level kit for your Jeep and easy to install in about 2-3 hours with normal hand tools. Price is $63 + $20 S/H.

From the 2005 Summer Q-Tech, page 151 - Black Diamond Add-A-Leaf. Add up to 2 inches. Kid includes pairs of front and rear leaves, hardware and AT Shocks. Price is $246.95

Questions:
    1) If I go with the Mako (3"), should I upgrade shocks while doing this? What other hardware would I need and would I end up spending the same money as the Black Diamond kit?
    2) Should I just go with a "complete set" of 2 inches and 2 inch shackle of a total of 4", then could fit 33's correct?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• I have a 94 yj with 4.5" re kit and like it allot. I usually hit a little on the rear fender. I am gonna cure that with a 1" body lift and TJ fender flares. I am running 33" mt/r's.

• I wouldn't go with an add-a-leaf lift kit. If you don't have the money right now, wait and save up a bit for a kit that has new springs. By just adding more leaves I think you will end up with a stiff ride that won't flex well. Height isn't everything, have flexable springs are just as important.
    Just my thoughts

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!