Need opinion on my Death Wobble

• Stop throwing the tomatoes.... I have video.

I have a case of DW and I am trying to figure it out before spending money on parts I dont need. According to this video, does it look like the DW starts in the Drag Link? I know it technically starts from the tire, but could the Drag Link be the first point of least resistance?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Jeep XJ (Lifted 2", Misc. goodies inside, 195k on body, 85k on inline 6) Jeep WJ (Stock, 236k on inline 6)

Edited once, last by dschappell ().

• Stop throwing the tomatoes.... I have video.

I have seen quite a few different takes on videos about Death Wobble, and this one is the best. :up:

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• According to this video, does it look like the DW starts in the Drag Link? I know it technically starts from the tire, but could the Drag Link be the first point of least resistance?

The video certainly makes it seem to appear that it starts in the drag link. There is nothing about the drag link itself that could cause the DW - it would be the TRE's on the drag link where it connects to the pitman arm and tie rod. It is not easy to tell for sure by looking at the video, but I think the TRE's on the drag link look fine.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I know it technically starts from the tire...

Actually, it rarely does start from the tires. It is almost always suspension components or steering components.

~ JD

• So I got the tie rod off the drag link. I'm going to take it all apart and examine each joint closely. The bushings on all are cracked real bad and I hear metal to metal contact on the tie rod end that connected to the drag link.

Jeep XJ (Lifted 2", Misc. goodies inside, 195k on body, 85k on inline 6) Jeep WJ (Stock, 236k on inline 6)

• Actually, it rarely does start from the tires. It is almost always suspension components or steering components.

Thanks for the correction. I heard otherwise. I guess it was meant that the tire bouncing causes the loose part to start jumping or whatever the real term is lol.

• Thanks for the correction. I heard otherwise. I guess it was meant that the tire bouncing causes the loose part to start jumping or whatever the real term is lol.

Oh, I see what you meant. Yes, the tire bouncing upon hitting a bump is usually the trigger.

~ JD

• I had to search way back in the archives for this. I wrote it a few years ago:

~ JD

• I would like to see it from some other views , especially a good shot of the steering box and mounts.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• If I had another go pro mount I would have. I already have it apart so missed the chance this time.

• Never mind saw your sig, jack it up have a friend shake jeep look at every bushing

They haven't. Should I replace them since I'll have the steering apart?

• Great man! I've got it apart now and planning on replacing the tie ends anyway. Once that's done, depending on what's going on I may ask for a wrench party to do the control arms.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!