TRAIL REPORT - DEJA Trail Ride @ Rausch Creek - February 20, 2016

• Another great day on the trails. The weather was really nice. We ran mostly black trails - blacks that were made even more challenging by the foot or so of snow and ice coated rocks that often made it nearly impossible to stay your line. We had quite a few really scary (read: adrenaline rush) moments, where sliding off a very good line suddenly created a very precarious situation.

Details and pics forthcoming...

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• A great day indeed. We had three Jeeps plus two passengers: John in his Cherokee with his friend Barry riding shotgun, Dave in his YJ on 37" Super Swampers with his nephew Spencer riding shotgun, and the weak sister was my CJ with both lockers still out of order. We headed straight for Cemetery to start, but found even the green trails were tricky with packed snow and ice covering everything. The snow on Cemetery was untouched, but we found the trail and spent about two hours getting up and out on the rocks. John struggled to the top first, I went second but ended up sideways halfway up, and Dave had to pull winch cable just so he could get around me and then winch me around and up from the top.

After a short rest, we did 22, then headed down to the Quarry, did all of Snakebite and Camelback, then went back up to Tombstone and Boot Hill. The snow there was deep and we weren't sure how much of the time we were on the trail or somewhere else, but we got out and headed back to the East side, cut across B and did 4, then at least part of Yellow Jacket. By then it was after 4:00 and John and Dave were both overheating, so we headed back to the parking lot. The sun was down by the time we were aired up and back on the road.

Many thanks to Dave, who -- John was right -- is a GREAT spotter. Without him we would still be on Cemetery this morning. We could use him for the Club Comp! Thanks too to Maplets, which made it possible to find the trails when we couldn't see them for the snow. Very little trail damage, especially considering the conditions and the level of trails we did. I put a 50-cent-piece (remember those?) size ding in my hood bouncing off a tree, but it was well worth it because it worked to get me out of a tight spot without more winching, and Dave broke his "Thing" (on his boot) on a rock. I for one will be back in March -- this time with two working lockers!

• I had a great time(Barry here). First time on a trail. I can not wait to get my Scrambler up to rausch and see what it can do(401/t18/dana 300/44's with arb/Detroit/35" mtr's/cage/warn xd800i or 8274(not sure which one I am going to mount)[emoji3]

• Great trail report Jay, thanks!

... then went back up to Tombstone and Boot Hill. The snow there was deep...

Many thanks to Dave, who -- John was right -- is a GREAT spotter.

You forgot to mention that Dave spotted me up the (slick with ice and snow) RED hillclimb on Tombstone. Good stuff.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!