Filled my Cj Dash radio hole today

• Hayden gave me another dash board for my CJ yesterday since the one I had, has the speaker grills cut out. I tried to fit my radio into it and it was way way to large so I decided to hide the stereo in the console. Here is what it sort of looked like before only the hole was larger.

And here is it is after alot of welding grinding and cussing. 1st coat of hammerite looks weird but I am sure it will get better after a few more

• Looks good. You can't even tell there's a hole there.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• You said you put the new radio in the console. What type of console did you go with? I did something similar this weekend with a old ammo box which I painted semi-gloss black. Bolted it in and ran all the wires through rubber grommets at the bottom. Installed both the radio and the cb in it. The reason I went with a ammo box is that they are water proof not just water resistant. I hose my CJ out with a pressure washer. The best part is I left the old radio in the dash so that any potential thiefs will just pass it by. By the way the weld job on the dash looks good. Did you use a mig?

• I have an outland console that I got on Ebay for a good deal. It is just like the tuffy console but it has a gasket on the lid to keep the wet stuff out. I am not too sure if it is in fact waterproof but it is good enough for how the CJ will be used. I have a Hobart 175 Mig welder. I am just now trying my hand at sheet metal so it was a long long night.

• Quote from "OrangeCrush"

I did something similar this weekend with a old ammo box which I painted semi-gloss black. Bolted it in and ran all the wires through rubber grommets at the bottom.

Drilling the holes in the bottom negate the water proofing, don't they?

Be sure to goop up the holes and wires inside and out with RTV. Especially before you drive your Jeep into the Chesapeake Bay again.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "scramblejim"

I dunno anything about binary, but the middle two sets are the same numbers, so I would guess JEEP. What do I win?

Yea you win. Next meeting waters are on me. :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!