GPS recommendations

• ian

i emailed clint again this morning trying to find out more about when they are sending them out. I also hinted about the 60cs :lie:

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

• ...could you hint that another trail guide sacrificed his entire week on easy trails, just for the good of the sport, and that it'd be really cool to hook him up too?

:doh:

• so by volunteering to do it, you are now goin to make everyone feel guilty?? What kind of trail boss are you!?!? :soapbox: :spinrhead:

• That makes little to no sense, but who cares...anything for FREE stuff!

DrJ (putting the "ass" in Asst. Trail Boss since 2005)

• Quote from "ChiChuM"

so by volunteering to do it, you are now goin to make everyone feel guilty?? What kind of trail boss are you!?!? :soapbox: :spinrhead:

errr...just a thought but I think he was referring to guiding at camp jeep not for GWNF :shrug:

• Okay...bit the bullet.

I ordered the Garmin GPSMap 60cs and the US 24K Topo map CD.
    The 60cs was less than $100 more than the Vista C ($50 rebate right now on either). If this doesn't give me GREAT detail at GWNF, I'll be pissed.

If you're gonna go, go large I guess.

DrJ

• Quote from "clendaniel"

only really run into problems when you get extremely heavy tree cover.

Yes, but Ian, you're a bit closer to the satellites than Steve is. :peace:

• Overheard at some future trail ride...

"Hey Ian, could you pull up a bit, you're blocking my WAAS line of sight"

DrJ (as if I'd be on the same trail as Ian...)

• should be more like...."hey guys, can you roll be back on my tires. my tub is blocking my WAAS line of sight"

• like mentioned before - the legend (not the c version) is a decent stand alone gps. no turn by turns nor audible prompts but gets the job done.

Quote from "whatevah"

just a note... I have the eTrex Legend (the model right before the Vista) and it doesn't get very good reception in my XJ. I usually leave it on the dashboard until I need to look at it, using my left hand to hold it near the window. In a soft-top you'll probably get much better reception, though. :D

Quote from "clendaniel"

I think with a soft top there shouldn't really be too much of a problem. I use the GPS functionality of my cellphone and the regular etrex that I have now and only really run into problems when you get extremely heavy tree cover.

--Ian

i lose signal in my jeep with the soft top up frequently when it's not sitting squarely atop my dashboard. line of sight means zero blockage - whether it is foliage or cloth. good luck on the new gps all...and let us know how it works out as i'm in the market as well.
    chris (willing to sell his etrex legend to help purchase a "turn by turn" model)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!