fixin driveline angles

• I was wondering if any one has used a slip yoke CV style drive shaft? I dont do to much off roading but my drive line is pretty sever and needs fixin, and this seemed like an easy and in-expensive fix. Or should i stop being cheap and just get the SYE. :shrug: (these little animations are tight)

• Quote from "ckr14018"

I was wondering if any one has used a slip yoke CV style drive shaft? I dont do to much off roading but my drive line is pretty sever and needs fixin, and this seemed like an easy and in-expensive fix. Or should i stop being cheap and just get the SYE. :shrug: (these little animations are tight)

what set-up r u running??

and uf y get a cvd/s u will need the sye

• I have an SOA 2.5" springs 1.25" Shackles and a 2" body lift. I know most people would have gotten the sye right after the SOA but everything was running fine but with my new additions it vibrates pretty bad, which is what i want to get rid of. It has been off road the way it's set up now and it was able to do everything i need it to which is why i dont think i need the SYE.

• Quote from "ckr14018"

I have an SOA 2.5" springs 1.25" Shackles and a 2" body lift. I know most people would have gotten the sye right after the SOA but everything was running fine but with my new additions it vibrates pretty bad, which is what i want to get rid of. It has been off road the way it's set up now and it was able to do everything i need it to which is why i dont think i need the SYE.

but in order to install the cv d/s u have to have an sye
    maybe something else is the problem
    tires, balance,bent rim
    did u check to make sure everything is tight ?

they're are a alot i think on here that have a cv d/s
    im sure they will chime in

• I think i might have you a little confused there is a drive shaft out now that is exactly like the regular slip yoke but instead of having one u-joint on the slip end it has two like the SYE shafts only this one still use the slip yoke. I'll try and figure out how to post a link and show you. Sorry if im confusing you.

• Quote from "ckr14018"

I think i might have you a little confused there is a drive shaft out now that is exactly like the regular slip yoke but instead of having one u-joint on the slip end it has two like the SYE shafts only this one still use the slip yoke. I'll try and figure out how to post a link and show you. Sorry if im confusing you.

oh okay
    i was
    never seen this d/s

if u have the link of where it is
    click the URL button paste the link and click the button again

• when i got the jeep there was a 2.5" lift on it already but no vibes, i put on an SOA and got the shafts lengthened and there were some vibes still but not to bad. Then i put on the body lift and shackles and thats when the vibes really started getting bad, but my pinion angle is horrible it has to be between 30-40 degrees. I dont know if this is relavent or not but i got 10x12 rims with 3-4" of backspacing and a mechanic friend of mine told me that the rear axle looks like it is starting to bow a little but i cant see it, so if you know any one that needs to get rid of some d44's i'll prob buy them

• Quote from "ckr14018"

when i got the jeep there was a 2.5" lift on it already but no vibes, i put on an SOA and got the shafts lengthened and there were some vibes still but not to bad. Then i put on the body lift and shackles and thats when the vibes really started getting bad, but my pinion angle is horrible it has to be between 30-40 degrees. I dont know if this is relavent or not but i got 10x12 rims with 3-4" of backspacing and a mechanic friend of mine told me that the rear axle looks like it is starting to bow a little but i cant see it, so if you know any one that needs to get rid of some d44's i'll prob buy them

B/L should not affect anything driveline related
    nor will ur new rims ]
    if your pinion angle is that severe
    i'd say try shimming the rear some first

• well the rear is completely straight i dont tkink there is any angle on it at all, so i dont think shiming will help that much, but i could be wrong.

• believe it
    it will help alot
    try that first get a pack
    or a few and try getting the pinion up
    not sure what a leaf sprung jeep should be tho
    a tj needs like 5deg i think in the rear

i could be might be wrong
    send tony (damutt) a pm
    and ask him how his is on his cj

hth

• if you read all 4 sections of this tech article it will explain everything you need to know.....
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index.html

so let me get this right you are running 2.5 in lift springs with a spring over axle conversion with a 2in body lift and shackle lift.... man that thing must be real tall... may I suggest going to full width axles when you do it

I think rob smith has some for sale in the swap meet section

• Well thats what i want to do but i have very limited welding skills and dont feel confident enough to weld on new perchs so thats why i have been looking for axles that are just ready to be bolted on. If i had it my way i would have full with dana 60's with 39" boggers that would be sweet. But for now i need to worry about what is already wrong.

• I am afraid that is the way to fix your problem...there is no other fix.... you have to adjust your pinion angle and to work with the drive shaft angle you are running and if you are running as much lift as I think you are you may have to move your axle back to fix it.... of you dont have the skill or equipment ask for help from someone who does or pay mopartech to do it....

sorry dont mean to sound mean but there is a right way to do it and then there is welll there is the right way

• no i know exactly what you are trying to say i just have alot of work to do and i need to make bud's with people who know how to weld :hmm: . thanks for your help.

• you buy the stuff and set it up with the knowledge and I am sure i could make some time to weld it up for some beer but I am very busy in my life right now so I cant gaurentee it will be when you want it done. there are also other people on the board that weld for fairly cheap my suggestion is watch the board and start coming to wrench fest the more poeple you meet and help the more poelpe that will help you....

• a wrench fest is when someone gets on the board and asks for help and several poeple show up and help get it done. normally its lifts and such but sometimes its just brakes or something like that... there really hasnt been to many latley but watch the modifacation section and I am sure someoen will be asking for help soon

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!