TB spacer vs TB swap

• I didn't want to steal Rob's thread so I'm starting a different one.

Pros & cons on installing a spacer vs swapping the throttle bodies?

Who has the best spacers?

What about air intake systems? (Best ones and do they make any difference when combined with a spacer or swap?)

Just trying to figure out my projects for the winter!! :spinrhead:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• ok i am gonna tell you what everyone drilled in to my head for a year before i listened, regearing is the real only way to get more power. now with that said i did the TB swap and my mpg went up a little and i did see a better throttle response. i have heard that the spacer just wistles. :shrug:

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• :laughing: yep, you will only get the whistle from the TB spacer plus with the air intake you will get a nice dent in the wallet and a "meaner" sounding jeep. Now the Throttle body itself is a little different animal, you will probably see better throttle response but no real horse power gains. A cheap way for a 4 banger to get an "intake system" is to take the intake from a 6 cylinder, get rid of the air box and put a cone filter on the end of it. I bought a blingin ricer filter from pepboys for $25.00, mostly to get rid of my air box for rooom under the hood. The 6 cyl air tube just is just a straight tube and doesnt' have the baffles that the 4 bangers have so you gain the same effect of lets say a K$N system without parting with mucho dinero

• well, regearing technically doesn't give any more power, it just changes how the power is used. ;)

as for intake systems, the K&N FIPK (the big round filter) is usually considered the best intake available, but by itself, it won't give that much more power over a good paper filter. They do last longer, though and because they're oiled they'll keep out the water a *little* longer. Somebody splashed through a puddle yesterday and his FIPK was all wet, but it still ran (after drying off the distributor). Cold-air intake systems will get you some more power, but not as much when doing offroading. The colder the air is when it goes into the engine, the more power it'll give you. And since the engine area (where the intake is) gets pretty warm, cold-air intake systems are pretty good for highway driving.

Snorkeling will you get colder air (ambient air temperature, vs engine compartment temp), but there will be a tradeoff in power (if it's a poorly designed snorkel) and some of them increase the engine noise a bit inside the vehicle.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!