Throttle bodies and new intakes

• So maybe gearing is a little more trouble than its worth for a KJ.

How about throttle bodies, any real difference in brands? Can't be really, can there?

Now, new intakes... I see AEM Bruteforce and K&N FIPK are over $200 each, but people on eBay are selling rip offs for $40. It's just a tube and a filter, so can't I buy the rip off and replace the filter? the rip offs even say they come with a reuseable, cleanable filter like a K&N. Some of the expensive versions have a shield to protect the filter from under hood spray. Think its worth and extra $150+ ?

DrJ

• look in to Airaid. Made a huge difference for my wife's sonoma. I also put a throttle body spacer and intake on the jeep and feel a noticealbe difference. I did it more for gas mileage (she's getting under 15 mpg b/4) so the performance is a bonus

• I think the sheilds are more for heat deflection, atleast thats what the AEM ones are for. I would try the ebay ones. You get most of the performance from the filter tube, The tube if large and smooth inside will help with the air flow. The sheilds also help from sucking in hot air off the engine and cooler air does help but I'm not sure how much. I don't think it would make a big difference if it had a sheild or not.

• Steve, I think thats a good price. I would jump on it and you could always get the k&n filter once that one wears out.

• my thought exactly...

There have been times after trail rides that there's been a lot of mud under my hood from spray. Will I have more of a problem in water and mud because of a set up like this? The current air box is much more sealed...and therefore restrictive.

• Just my 2 cents. I bought one from ebay similar to the one your looking at for my wifes Grand Cherokee and I'll be honest with you it didn't make any noticeable differences other than the sound. I bought an air raid for my Wrangler and noticed a huge difference in both performance and also gas mileage. Almost 40 miles to the tank. Now both of our jeeps have the same 4.0 liter 6 cylinder in them so the should have both reacted the same to similar intakes. Just my opinion I would go with the Air Raid.
    Later
    Brian :shrug:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Quote from "BDLSTOY"

noticed a huge difference in both performance and also gas mileage. Almost 40 miles to the tank.

You're saying +40 miles to the tank right Brian? You're not getting total 40 miles per tank are you? :laughing: j/k

Could the difference in vehicle weight contribute to the differences you felt? Just a thought. Put the AirRaid on the GC and see if it does anything... :wavey:

• I put a new tb on my 4 banger and it made a considerable differnce i also just put a k&n fliter not the kit it is a omaha made edition :laughing: it has got me more get up and go and helped a little gas mileage wise but i still want more so i think the tb was good but i think with a new exhaust it would run even better i will have to wait on that though unless someone has one lieing around and want give it away i am gonna wait till the lift and tires are hear to see if it is worth the regear money or just ot throw on an exhaust.

Try the tb it will help not a huge amount but it will help. and a cone k&n not the drop in their will be a differnce.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• I believe he is talking about a TB spacer not a bored out throttle body or a larger replacement. There is a huge difference betwen the two. The TB spacer supposedly caused a vortex in the intake making the air more useable to the engine, kind of like those tornado filter inserts that they used to sell on TV. About all you will get from them is an annoying whistle, do some google searches about these and the FIPK kits and you will see that actual Horsepower gains from them with the low RPM jeep engines is really not much. Yeah I can understand spending the $40.00 on the EBay FIPK kit but when you are looking at $200+ for a kit and TB spacer it is really hard to justify. Deep water really scares me with the open filter, I know the trumpet is not much higher but I like the security of not having the intake wide open with a straight tube. Just my 2 cents.

• It changes the sound because most OEM intake tubes and Airboxes are "tuned" to be quieter. Also be very wary of claims of horsepower increases. If you look closely, most of those charts will show a "10 HP Gain!" at like 5600 rpm, but just off idle actually lower power. Whens the last time you hit 5600 rpm? And if youve ever seen a dyno in operation, you can get a 10 hp difference at that speed just in the difference between two dyno pulls, maybe depending on how hot or cold the engine is. But try the fuel line magnets, I hear they can really boost your economy!

Theres alot of BS out there and its buyer beware. I like the idea of a washable filter.
    In fact, if you have a Mass Air Flow Sensor setup instead of Manifold Absolute Pressure, (not sure what they use on the 3.7, pretty sure the 4.0 is MAP.) You can acutally damage the MAF sensor if you overoil the filter, causing the PCM to read lower airflow, giving you less fuel, making the engine less efficient etc, etc, etc.

And most of the Air movement is controlled by the shape of the combustion dome, intake runners, and other stuff behind the throttle body.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!