4.0s and Gearing

• OK I'm a newbie to the 4.0 but I am trying to evaluate the gearing
    I will need.
    So far with 33" tires I like the response I am getting with 3.73 gears.
    I may gear to 4.10 when I build up the dana 44 I hope to then run 35" tires.

On a side note looks like the front wheel driving will take a tole on my old universals joints. I have one squealing now. Don't know why they only have 160,000 miles on them. :shrug:

• You are fine with 33's and 3.73 gearing. You should only be a few hundred rpm's under stock. I wouldn't bother going to 4.10s from 3.73s. 4.10's would put you nearer the stock rpm range but if you are going to 35's you will need 4.27's or 4.56's to get back to stock rpm range. If you want to change gears go to one of these instead. If you have an overdrive, go with the 4.56.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• The one big thing you have to consider is the 44 carrier break. If you want to lock the 44 then I would def. go with gears higher than 3.73's. This way when you go to 35's you wont' have to worry about a new carrier

• Joe,

If you have 5 speed, regear to 4.88. Remember bigger tires and higher lift need more power. It is more than just RPM consideration. Been there ;).

Later,

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!