Borla header and exhaust install.

• I am about to install a new header, cat, and muffler on my 6cyl TJ. I was just wondering if you guys could give me some heads up as to what I might run into. I am not used to working in engine compartments that are so small that you can barley turn a wrench in. I also am going to install a Powerdyne Power plate throttle body spacer. Powerdyne claims it will give a 6cyl TJ a 20 hp increase. Hopefully with both of these combined I will have a little more import slaying power.

Bryan

• You will have to take most of the crap off the exhaust side of the engine to get to the exhaust/intake manifold bolts. On a CJ, the exhaust and intake manifolds share the same bolts. I imagine the TJ is the same. It's a pain. Only install the exhaust finger tight until it is all assembled. Then start tightening everything down starting with the header and working your way back.

Don't do it on a day when you only have a few hours. It can become a weekend project very fast.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I was able to get it done in about 3 hours. It was a huge pain and I hope I never have to do it again. With the new cat and muffler the Jeep sounds awsome, as close to a v8 as you can get.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!