Just finished my buddys XJ build up, lil troubles...

• Well After 2 consecutive sundays of working on my buddy Conans XJ we finally got the suspension finished and It looks good...we built It on a pretty good budget..., Its an 86 XJ, 2.8L V6 :repuke: , plans on an engine swap (I believe he wants the 3.4L or 4.3L sometime after winter). The blue XJ sits around 3-5" havent taken any official measurements but Its made up of the following after totalling all the money spent...I did alot of budget searching for him to get the best deals for the cheapest amount so he could have his first beater Jeep....

3" Tomken coils (from Tony, dude these sit closer to 4-4.5")...paid $35
    3.5" R.E Addleafs in a XJ leaf pack with 52,000 miles...compared to his 86 with 215,000miles leaf pack... we paid $85
    Skyjacker Nitro front shocks from a TJ (4"-6" lift) paid $20, thanks Joe L!
    Skyjacker 8000 shocks for the rear of XJ, same guy with RE addleafs sold um to us when he moved up...paid $15

Trimmed the hell out his fenders and soon to add TJ flares that were $FREE
    Bought 5, 15x10 black streetlocks for $100
    Bought 5, 33x12.50 SuperSwamper, SSR's with 80% tread for $250
    and he got the XJ from his aunt/uncle for $FREE

It should be a pretty narly trail/snow rig for the total price of = $505 with tires and wheels...without thats only $155, not bad for a 3-4" Lift....Next is some custom bumpers and camo paint...

We have a few things to fix to get It ready, small tranny leak, exhaust leak, and need to rebuild carb...all before winter...

We took It out for a test drive and thats when the problems arose...around 30mph the XJ almost fell apart when It started shaking...Im gonna guess Its the steering cause theres no way Its the DS on an 86 XJ with this small of Lift...gonna do some more research on that...The trac bar didnt have a bolt on the other end of the axle mounted side but It seemed to be tight in there...that could be the Issue but Im not sure...Any thoughts?

Heres some pics...

Rest of the photo's can be seen here....page 2 and 3
    http://community.webshots.com/album/508739021yvgjBN

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• about the shaking
    did u pull the control arms ?
    if so make sure they r torqued to spec
    and the trac bar
    u said there was a bolt missing(?)
    if thats the case, def. put one in there and torque it
    btw it looks tuff i like it
    hth

• didnt even mess with control arms...only think we did was drop the track bar at the axle side when doing the suspension, when I put the bolt back in we couldnt get the nut on the other side through the small hole on axle tube :doh: so I said screw It, It seems tight to me...theres no sway bars on It....all I can think of is the bolt on the track bar needs to be there...If not the shaking is something else I havent thought of yet...and It sure is violent, my friend almost messed his pants...gota love the face on the first time deathwobble victim :sniffle:

thanks for the compliments!

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• Did you torque up all the bolts when it was on the lift or on the ground (supporting its weight).

If it was on the lift then they may be too tight or torqued without the load so that could cause binding and the wobble.

HTH

-Chris

• Well no, actually, I knew torquing was Important but didnt know any specs so everything was Just tightend with the air tools til they were nice and tight...

Nothing needs to be torqued in the front besides trac bar right? shocks can't be torqued?

Then would the bolts in the back for the leaf springs make a difference If they were torqued or not? It felt like the shake was coming from the front end but I could be wrong...

• my jeep shook like crazy at 30mph when i sheered off a bolt for the trackbar so thats where i would start.

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!