SUnday SYE/Driveshaft/Control arm installs

• We will be doing Arties SYE and driveshaft install plus his upper and lower control arms, if anyone is around feel free to stop by. I will probably be puttting the dash in my CJ and working on stripping the front end for paint.

• Quote from "jeepartie"

I just got the upper rear and all 4 lowers today so we are ready to go. The plan is to start around 10:30 which means hopefully by 11.

Artie

did you post this from work??? bad artie LOL tried to say bye..but things seemed a little busy when i left

dave

• turtle, are you around earlier? If I stop by to open up BlueJ's axle, I don't want to delay your other work...

• Stop by anytime after 9 or so. Artie can pull the t-case and driveshaft on his own, 2 is way too many working under the jeep doing that stuff. So even if you are later, you will not be in the way. Besides I have a new toy that I need to try out on your jeep.

• Arghh Can't make it Sunday morning. I'm heading out to Chicago this afternoon, I have too much to do to get ready.

Besides, BlueJ is in a few pieces in my driveway. I pulled the diff cover and drained out the murky gear oil half onto my driveway and half into the bucket. After cleaning up for a bit, I looked at the locker. I didn't see any broken teeth, but it looks like the pins that come off the springs inside are messed up. I don't know if it's fixable, but I just ordered an Aussie locker anyway.

I couldn't get the axles out (missing a 36mm socket), so couldn't pull the axles, but I did install a new set of brakepads. The right side was much more worn than the left, should I be worried. This also turned out to be a messy affair. After installing the new pads on the caliper, I couldn't figure out how to get the new set over the rotor. After a few frantic calls (Aaron finally answered - thanks Aaron!), I had a path forward. The mess was caused by the brake fluid backing up out of the master cylindar while pushing the piston back in.

I'm trying to get new shafts here by next weekend, so I can get BlueJ put together over the long weekend. If anyone wants to help... I think I will buy a 36mm socket, but could use someone's workbench with vise for working on the diff carrier.

Thanks!

• Quote from "BlueJ"

I couldn't get the axles out (missing a 36mm socket), so couldn't pull the axles, but I did install a new set of brakepads. The right side was much more worn than the left, should I be worried. This also turned out to be a messy affair. After installing the new pads on the caliper, I couldn't figure out how to get the new set over the rotor. After a few frantic calls (Aaron finally answered - thanks Aaron!), I had a path forward. The mess was caused by the brake fluid backing up out of the master cylindar while pushing the piston back in.

Thanks!

Maybe I'm missing something, but when I pulled my axles to install my locker, I took out the 3 (I think) bolts that holds the bearing assy in place and pulled the entire axle assys out of the differential.

• Quote from "Keith_C"

Maybe I'm missing something, but when I pulled my axles to install my locker, I took out the 3 (I think) bolts that holds the bearing assy in place and pulled the entire axle assys out of the differential.

I guess you can get them out that way, but you would need to remove the 36mm spindle nut to remove the shafts from the hub. (right?) I know I did when I swapped hubs a while back.

• Quote from "jeepartie"

Spanky (Chris). Sorry Chris, but it just seems like you need a cool nickname so Spanky it is.

Where did this come from???

By the way, thanks again for the control arms.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!