Add a Leaf or Regular Lift kit?

• I have a 95 Yj and don't have a lot of money, I saw this kit on the internet for a budget lift. It said I could gain 3" of lift by adding a leaf to my stock springs and I would be able to use all my stock parts. What are the advantages and disadvantages with this kit? Or should I just wait and save for the more expensive kits.

• An add-a-leaf basically stiffens your springs so even at rest, you sit higher (1" to 3") then if you were using your stock springs. Pros were as you mentioned, cheap height. The problem is the down side. Generally stiffer ride, a lot of times you still have to do as much work as installing a regular lift and don't get a better ride! Usually the leaf will sag after a while and your back to a close to stock truck. Technically you could use your stock shocks, but they should be changed if lifting more than 2". Even if you just wheel once in a while, you are probably better off saving for a quality 2.5" lift. That way get get a chance to see a good return on your "investment"

• Are you set with wanting 3" of lift? Are your intentions for clearance for off roading, towing, or just looks?

Since you are on a budget, you might consider a 1" shackle lift and 1" body lift. They are cheap lifts to get a decent look. It is not the best way to lift a vehicle but it works. I have them plus a suspension lift and mine runs fine.

Do not got any higher with either of these lifts. Yes, it can be done but general consensus is that any more of either is a bad thing. Lifts are like most things in the world...you get what you pay for.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I had the same budget lift you were talking about with the 3" add a leave and it worked just fine for me i also had a 1" shakle lift, you will also need longer shocks and possible a dropped pitman arm but overall it was as you said a very inexpensive lift and i ran my jeep that way for about 2 years before it got wrecked but everything worked just fine i took it off road many times and everything held up great oh yea it is a much stiffer ride but what yj doesnt have a stiff ride already its like driving a brick

HTH

• black diamond offers a 3.5" full military wrap leaf kit for YJs.....pretty complete (shocks, leaf springs, hardware, -no control arms, tcase drop, etc.) for high $4xx.00 - low $5xx.00....materials are good and dont sag, shocks are stiff but not many yjs ride like caddilacs, this kit is more like 4-4.5" and you can easily fit 33s.

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!