99 XJ 4.0l Problem, Help needed..

• We just started have a problem our 99 XJ Sport with a 4.0L Auto

Symptoms:
    1. Engine cut out after momentarily starting. Would not hold idle, but could keep it running by revving. Then everything turned off. Nothing at the key. Then wait a min and it would start then idle ok. This has happened 3 times.

2. While driving the gauge light came on and voltage gauge pinned to the right. Then radio went off. A few moments later the gauge light went off and everything returned to normal.

I plan to disconnect the battery, and clean the terminals at lunch. Hopping that it’s only a flaky connection. How much does a code reader cost for this Jeep. Any ideas what might be wrong? This is the wife’s Jeep and I need it to be dependable for her.

Thanks,

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• You would need and obd II scanner to read the codes for that vehicle. I think they are about 100 bucks or so at pep boys. However it will tell you about where the problem is but wont tell you much more on how to fix it.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Quote from "deadfeat"

We just started have a problem our 99 XJ Sport with a 4.0L Auto

Symptoms:
    1. Engine cut out after momentarily starting. Would not hold idle, but could keep it running by revving. Then everything turned off. Nothing at the key. Then wait a min and it would start then idle ok. This has happened 3 times.
    Thanks,

Steve

YOu have classic example of IAC failure. I just went thru with my daugter's 1999 XJ last week.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs…ooting/l/aa042603a_08.htm

Later,

• Ok, I bought a OBD II scanner at Pepboys in Newark for $88.00 on sale :up:

Scaned and got no codes back. I also cleaned the battery terminals real well and reconnected. Seems ok for now.

Thanks for the input. Linyee, I will check out the IAC issue next if this problem comes back. Good to have a OBC II reader either way. Cheap insurance.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• After cleaning the bat terminals, it started and ran ok but the voltage meter was showing 10-12v. Not it's normal 14v. Then after about 10 min. I turned it off and it would not start again. The battery no longer had enough guts to start it. The solinoid just went click-click-click.

So Alternator right? Picked up a replacement alternator at Christiana Auto (Open to 8pm :up: ) They guy told me that the voltage regulator is not in the alternator but in a power modual or in the computer. How stupid is that? Anyway, If I install the $130 alt, I cant return it. If I install it and it's not the problem I may have to replace the computer.

So now I have to figure out the right diagnostic. Any help out there in Internet land?

Steve

• If you have a multi-meter or even a test light, put the leads right to the battery posts and try cranking it, if you just get clicking but the voltage stays around 12V you've got a bad connection somewhere.

Check the connections at the starter and also where the neg. battery cable connects to the block.

• Steve, Im running through the adobe XJ manual that I have, trying to find an answer for you,

It almost sounds like youve got big problems, or one little one that is causing all sorts of gremlins.

Not telling you to replace it, but Ive seen Ignition Switches in some gm cars do funny stuff like this, click the relays, but not fire the starter, couldnt take it out of park, codes for brake problems, gauges dancing around 70 mph while the engine isnt running...

Ill look to see what I can find for TSBs also....

And yes, the voltage regulation is done through the PCM, which uses line voltage and battery temperature to determine what voltage should be, and if not with .5 volt, cycles the ground side of the field accordingly to adjust voltage. Are you going by what the gauge says, or a meter. What are the readings on the battery using a meter when you try to crank it? If it doesnt drop, then your getting a false crank, there is no load on the battery.

• there are a couple TSBs on your cher that may fit, but I cant view the whole thing from home, it will be after work tommorow that I can get a definite on whats included in the TSB info. Sorry

Also, do you have the ability on your scan tool to read the serial data? In other words, what the PCM is reading as voltage, and what the position signal from the ignition switch is? Stuff like that?

• Jim,

That would be great. Also, can you PM me your phone number? I am going to replace the battery (it's 5 years old anyway) then drive it home to work on it (right now its at my office.) Then I can do more testing.

Thnaks
    Steve

• This exact same thing happen to my friends. He was able to drive like that for about a day in a half. After what seemed like stalling out, it would not start up for a few seconds. Waited a few and it would start and run as long as you kept pumping the gas. Turned out he had a bad battery. Damn thing split by the terminals. We swapped it out and all better. Never overlook the simple things when troubleshooting.

• B2HI is correct. i had the same issue with the yukon. volt meter not reading right, some things working fine but wont start. it was a broken terminal in side. swath battery with your other jeep and try it. Id bet a paycheck thats the problem.
    what Linyee was atlking about could also be correct because the symptons are the same. The battery terminal problem can be decieving because it acts up like those other issues.

• That's encouraging.. I'm picking up the battery at lunch. Hope you guys are right. Jeep Computers are way expensive and you can't even surf the net with them ! :rolleyes:

To be continued..

Steve

• The broken terminal inside on a Yukon is usually just a GM problem because they use the stupid side post things instead of regular top posts. I did an Alldata search for TSBs at work today, and the closest I came to finding something close to your problem involved reprogramming the PCM. If your PCM had already been reprogrammed, it should, by law have a label applied with "authorized modifications" written at the top of it. It did have something to do with the IAC, but it was not real specific, only gave instructions on how to upload the new software (dealer only thing) It wouldnt hurt though to pull the intake tube and make sure the iac isnt sludged up. Chryslers wonderful CCV system can send alot of oil thru the system, and tends to build up varnish on the backside of the throttle plate and within the IAC passages.

A little bit of gumout or 2+2 should clean it up.

Hope we get some good news from you soon.

• I installed a new Diehard Silver battery at lunch today. She fired right up and all gauges are stable. the Voltage gauge reads 14v steady. I am hopping that this does the trick. The factory battery is 6 years old and had 85,000 miles on it. I suppose that is pretty good. We drove it around for about 10 miles and so far so good.

Thanks all for the advice.

Steve

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!