YJ flair customization help needed

• OK, I got my rocker guards for the YJ from Zach over the holiday :-). Now what do I do about the front fender flairs? I know I’ll have to shave the inside part, but what about the bottom part that curves to toward the back of the rig? I was thinking about heating them and reforming them to continue to go strait down (like the TJ). I think if I just cut them, they will look like crap. Here are some doctored pics to try to get my idea across.

Any idea how hot to make these? I assume it would have to be kind of high, after all, theses things have to withstand months of 100+ days. I’m thinking a heat gun will scorch them before making them hot enough to form into shape.

I have 4 stock flares from my TJ. Just let me know if you need them. Free- just come pick them up.

Are these still up for grabs? PM sent.

Thanks

• Why not get CJ front flares? They were pretty close to the YJ ones. Close enough that no one would notice anyway.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I never measure them but they are at least 2" to 3".

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• If I just take off the extensions, I'll still be left with about 3-4 inches of 'back swoop' on the flair itself. If you look at the first pic, you'll see the seam between the flair and the extension.

I'm checking out the CJ flair option. I have some time, but I want to have a solid plan in place before I start taking apart my toy.

kevin

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!