3/4" drill bit and welder?

• :laughabove:

• Quote from "DelawareDave"

I have been in steel fabrication for 35 years. Cast steel and cast iron are 2 different animals. Yes- cast iron would require pre and post heating, as well as high nickel content electrode or bronze alloy welds. I have welded a lot of cast iron.
    Cast steel can be worked pretty much the same as carbon steels. You can cut it with a torch. Cast iron you cannot. I have used good old LH70 (low hydrogen) on cast steel with no cracking problems. We used to cut and bend, then reweld the head casting on HD motorcycles to alter the rake. I personally did mine and rode it for 10 years with no cracking or failure.
    If you had an issue with something coming apart, then either the piece that was welded in was a dissimilar metal, such as stainless, without using the proper electrode, or as brought up previously- poor prep, or someone didn't know what they were doing.
    As far as spindles/steering knuckles go, they are either forged or cast steel- depending on manfacturer. Cast iron would not hold up to the stresses this part is subject to.

dave,
    you got any recomendations on replacing a cast iron leg for my antique wood stove.. i know sometimes dissimilar metals corrode if i use a steel leg is that a problem?

• Quote from "rdjp94"

dave,
    you got any recomendations on replacing a cast iron leg for my antique wood stove.. i know sometimes dissimilar metals corrode if i use a steel leg is that a problem?

You should have no issues with compatability of the materials. Brazing works quite well, if done properly. Is the old leg bolted on, or cast as part of the stove body? You may want to remove all the legs and make a small stand for it to set on. It all depends on what the stove looks like, as to what would work best. Do you have a pic?

• No doubt, couldnt pay me enough...

• Quote from "Elff"

You guys really bring the suck at quoting
    :wstupid:

yeah, i suck at the interweb. and they even give you a button that does it for me.

:hangsheadinshame:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!