what to do first

• I have been thinking of a lift but the more I read, maybe some armor is better to do first :shrug: :wstupid:

Currently I am on 31x10.5 MTs on 2" shackle lift so I think I should be abe to do ok on the trail but I am guessing I will hit, even with 4" lift so...

What should I do in way of armor at a minimum (and what brands) and in what order? Rockers, skidz, etc...

Trying to get somewhat prepared for the trail.

Thanks.

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• i agree with lee. id start with a oil pan/engine skid. i have a skid row on my TJ and it is awesome IMO. from having a YJ i would also think about a new gas tank skid plate. my 87 rusted through and the tank was hanging by the straps and front side of the skid only. couple nice bangs on the trail ...you see where this is going

• I started w/ the oil pan and diff cover. These are the area I had issues with on my limited trail rides. I went with Warn. I could be wrong but I don't think brand matters. Metals Metal of you get the same thickness.

• yea.. id go with the oil pan too.. i need to get one.. im thinking of taking my stock one and tacking a piece of boiler plate to it.. thats what my cj had...

• Not to beat a dead horse, but I would def. get some skids first. And I'll echo everyone and highly recommend the Skid Row Engine/oil pan skid. I can really say that once I had some protection underneath, my wheeling was a lot more fun. When I came down on a rock I didnt crap my pants thinking I broke something.

When you're not on bigger tires, I would recommend the Front diff cover as well just because it tends to take a beating. I'll also echo the gas tank since you have a YJ. Kilby is what I'm going for but I don't know if they make one for a YJ.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!