another tire thread...

• For 33" tires, I can get Firestone Destination M/Ts for $30 a tire less than BFG M/T (Tire Rack prices), and $23 less per than Goodyear M/TRs. I need 5, so that starts to add up. I know Jerry posted a while back about these...anyone actually have first hand experience with the Firestones?

DrJ

• oh okay....

there was a guy over near the shore selling a set of 33x12.50x15 mtr's.. i bought one of em for a sapre.. he still had 4 more when i was there.

• Firestone in town will mount and balance 5 Firestone Destination M/T 285/75-R16s for $964.62...

Delaware Tire is $1095 for 5 BFG M/Ts

Furr's is $1225 for BFG M/Ts

DrJ

• Quote from "cj7taz"

oh okay....

there was a guy over near the shore selling a set of 33x12.50x15 mtr's.. i bought one of em for a sapre.. he still had 4 more when i was there.

New ones? I have the possibility of getting 15" wheels from Ed... depending on how much I spend on the tires.

• Yeah Ive got 33 inch firestone destionations m/t and there great!!! Ive had them the same amount of time that one of my buddys has had bfg muds and mine havent worn a bit compared to his and its about the same milage on the tires as he put on. Anyones intrested i could take pics and compare my spare to the actual tires cause i didnt roate the spare in to show the amount worn.

• I'm leaing towards them now. In town, cheaper, better ratings across the board than BFG M/Ts on any tire review site I can find. #2 only to Goodyear MT/Rs which I have now, and would be even more to get in 33". I'll need spacers, and maybe a set of Rubi flares to cover them, but that'll come over the summer. I'll need to add some washers to my steering stops too (so I hear).

DrJ

• a tire not wearing is a bad thing offroad. it means the tire is a very hard compound, which wont hook up on rocks. a softer compound will do way better on the rocks, but will wear out faster.

just something to think about.

and btw- thats a pretty decient price from DE tire. i know the owners and there good guys. i just got new bfg's for my superduty from them a couple weekes ago.

• Steve, I still have all 5 of my BFG MT's mounted and balanced on AR rims. There not for sale (cause Nichole wants me to put them back on when she takes the jeep to the beach) but you could try them out and see how you like them. I will say that as far as I'm concerned they are by far the best tire on the market. If I hadn't got such a good deal on my Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers I would still have those on my jeep. I still may replace the rovers with BFG's this summer.

Let me know

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Okay, now I'm pissed. Adding 33" tires seems to start this snowball of mods I just don't want to do. I like my Jeep looking OEM, but being fairly capable.

So...

I think I'll just go to 235/85R16 (32" and narrow) Firestone Destination M/Ts, and no other mods. That seems to be as big a tire I can run without causing other necessary modifications. A few washers on the steering stops is fine, but that's all I really want to do. So I guess after all of this, 32" will be it. At least they're true 32" tires, some of the 33's are only 32.5, so this won't be too far off.

Thanks everyone...

DrJ

• i ran the tera flex springs i got from keith for about six months
    i think he didnt have an sye in either tho he did have a drop kit iirc
    i didnt need an sye or driveshaft
    i didnt need a x-case drop kit either
    i did run the stock shocks for awhile

if u were to put 33's or ur rig
    i dont think u would need a driveshaft or sye
    tho maybe u would need a x-case drop kit
    u would need shocks if u disconect
    the ones u have now will prob limit flex

brake lines cant hurt but u would only need them if u disco
    u would need to do something about bumpstops
    and steering stops
    (maybe spacers maybe)

everything in moderation
    so u could accomulate everthing little by little

all this imo

• But don't you have a different driveshaft set-up than me? Rubi vs. Sport?

I just don't want to do all of that for 5-8 trail rides a year and 33" tires if I can go to 32" and do none of it.

DrJ

• I also don't want to stick out past my OEM flares, though getting a set of Rubi flares would be an acceptable option. I like my Jeep to look OEM-ish.

• np

driveshafts are alittle different
    urs has a slip shaft that goes into the x-case
    mine does not
    tho the slip is in the middle of mine

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!